Buffet style china cabinet hutch enclosure. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2009, 09:27 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Buffet style china cabinet hutch enclosure.

I'm wondering if anyone has built anything like the JBL Paragon or similar.
Or something similar to the various styles I've seen over the years that had a turntable and reciever in the upper section, you lifted the top for access. I always thought they were real nifty and have thought about re-fitting an original or building one from scratch. No more than 6' wide, 2' deep and 3' high max. It would definately look like a piece of furniture and could be standalone or part of a built in wall shelf unit.
Pics would be great or links to plans etc.
Old 21st June 2009, 06:05 PM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I never did - but wanted to for years. Even drew up plans. But most of that stuff is well beyond my woodworking skills. I really do think the console is ready for a comeback.

My wife really wanted one - in danish modern style. So instead of waiting for me to build one, she bought one. It wasn't as simple as that - we looked at a lot in used furniture shops, bid on eBay, etc. Mostly we didn't like what we saw or got outbid on what we did.

But then one day on Craigslist she found a 2 piece Fisher console she just had to have. And at $65, it was hard to argue. Nice old console, circa 1959, and in two parts.

All the electronics were gone, thus the price, but the drivers are all still there. Each cab has 3 Jensen 8" drivers all wired in parallel, no crossover. I wired it up for internet radio so now we can enjoy, Frank, Dino, Sammy, Nat, Louie, Ella and the gang in the living room. Often I run just one side as the material is well suited to mono. Can fill the whole house with mellow tunes.

So that's my suggestion. Look around shops and online for something ready made - then upgrade it. It may not be "hi-fi", but it certainly is fun - and often not too $$. If you want a real Hi-Fi console, that's another matter.
Old 21st June 2009, 06:29 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Close, but not quite, i designed a TV/electronics stand with built in mFonken for a fellow in the UK.

And i've certainly gutted a lot of console hifis (my RH84 monoblocks have iron courtesy of 2 Grundig consoles)

dave
Old 21st June 2009, 06:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Any pics would be greatly appreciated. What key words would you use to search for this kinda thing? Console? What brand names?

I was thinkin' if I didn't build a completely new one from scratch I'd modify an old one with new drivers and up to date enclosure to match unless I found a real nice one that happened to sound good.

What did you name this console Dave? Fonkensole? Consofonken?
Old 21st June 2009, 06:41 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by 901Fixer
What did you name this console Dave? Fonkensole? Consofonken?
No name... it was a weird shape for a specific space, so probably "<wife's name>'s TV stand".

dave
Old 24th June 2009, 12:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Looks like Console is a good word to use to search. I found this nice lookin' Motorola close to me, where does this rank on quality, value etc. ? Is there a website more dedicated to this kind of item?

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/fuo/1226802594.html

The tuner doesn't turn but it is a tube amp and plays 33, 45 and 78 which the poster says is not commom with a tube amplifier. For the condition the price is reasonable to me unless these are not so wonderful or typically go for less.

What say ye Hi Fi fanatics?
Old 24th June 2009, 04:28 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by 901Fixer
What say ye Hi Fi fanatics?
The furniture needs to be worth something to you to pay that kind of money for a console... looks like an SE EL84, quite common, and at the low end of the electronics lines (one of my RH84 uses OPTs from similar). I can visualize taking the electonics apart, i've had quite a few similar thru here. I'd have paid from please take it away to about $40, But then i was only interested in the guts and with a lot of people like me, these are getting rarer all the time.

dave

PS: most of these did 33/45/78
Old 24th June 2009, 04:49 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Do any of the higher end brand names come to mind? I'm not in any hurry to get one of these but I'd like to pick one up. I also have wanted to get a turntable to play some of the many old records I inherited from my parents. I doubt any of the turntables in these Consoles were very high end but that kinda adds to the ambiance of Ray Conniff Christmas and Boogie Fever.

Does fixing the tuner issue sound complecated or is this common for this type of unit?
Old 24th June 2009, 05:16 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

There's some schmo in minneapolis who wants $2000 for their telefunken console. It's got a neat danish midcentury teak look, and looks to be tubed and stereo.

They had it for sale on craigslist a few years ago for $300 and I offered them two. Apparently they've decided that recessions increase the value of things tenfold.
Old 25th June 2009, 03:24 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I found a couple more locally. Some need more work but are much cheaper.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/clt/1232573178.html

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/clt/1200539095.html

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/fuo/1230699655.html

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/fuo/1207815867.html

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/msg/1220190127.html

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/fuo/1233792530.html

Are they all pretty much the same spec wise just different design on the outside? The last one is pretty complicated with all of the sliding and unfolding, giving me some ideas for sure.

Hide this!Advertise here!