Adding cone mass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I haven't personally tried it, but I have read that others have glued either solder or fishing weights around the perimeter of the dustcap, on the cone, where the dustcap glues to the cone.
The most important things I can think of are to use multiple small weights spaced evenly around the dustcap, and use an adhesive that is strong enough to hold the weights onto the cone, but also allow you to remove them if desired.

Peace,

Dave

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I have been told to use epoxy resin mixed with a heavy filler, lead shot would do, 10 grams isn't much mass plain epoxy mixed with dry sand about 2 teaspoons full of each should work.
1 tspn on each woofer set it on a horizontal surface and pour over dustcap; let it settle where dustcap meets cone and dry for 24 hours

I increased the QMS on a set of MCM 55-2421 woofers using polyurethane glue. The other methods mentioned will work, but the use of polyurethane has the advantage of strengthening the cone, waterproofing it, and damping it.

Be sure to measure the t/s parameters before and after, to insure both woofers are consistent.

Back in the day I tried to do it with fiberglass and resin, and it disintegrated the wooofer's surround. So don't do that :D

GM

Joined 2003
Normally, MI drivers are used well up into its break-up BW, so any diaphragm mods such as adding mass in any form can have an audible affect and IME not in a pleasant way, though the least offensive have been with Dammar and the aforementioned shellac coatings and/or replacing the dust cap with a heavier DIY aluminum one.

GM

I would not add lumps of weight to specific locations of the cone.
I think that may promote asymmetrical flexure and premature "breakup".

I used lead sheet beaten out to a thin foil. Secured it with double sided tape. The fresh adhesive could easily cope with 100g accelerations.
I have no idea how long the adhesive will retain the weights in place.

If it does not need to be reversible then painted on coatings are far more likely to do the job better. One could vary the thickness of the coating from edge to centre and even double coat (both sides) in some areas.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.