Possible Summer Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I would love to build a set of bookshelf speakers just for fun. I think I have the tweeter picked out, looks interesting and Zaph really liked it. It is the SB-Acoustics SB29RDC-C000-4 Ring Dome tweeter. It is a new take on the ring radiator from SB. The woofer is up in the air but the main candidate is the SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-8 6" woofer. I am also considering the Exodus EX-6.5 Midwoofer and the CSS SDX7 Subduction 6.5" woofer. The prices on those are ~$50 more than the SB so I would prefer to use the SB, but if one of the other 2 are that much better I would probably be willing to switch. Any help is appreciated in this design and project.

Have a look at the newer version of this driver, Zaph's done all the hard work: http://www.zaphaudio.com/SR71.html

Driver choices are hard - now I find out that there are two versions of the 830833, and the local supplier is quoting the old specs... doesn't fill me with confidence :xeye:

I'll probably hold off on my 2-way project for now, I've got plenty else to do with drivers I've already got (update my OBs, rebuild my cheap Jaycars, build some rears & sub for HT).

Go with the SB

I say give the SB 6" a shot. A friend of mine built a 2-way using the 6" SB mated to the regular SB dome tweeter. Both the bass and midrange of that driver are impressive.

I know he had to use a 3rd order network on the woofer, but I don't think that should scare you away from it. Though your Seas choice would also be great and probably only need a 2nd order x-o.

Either way, please keep us posted. I know a lot of folks are interested in hearing experiences with that tweeter. Good luck and have fun.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.