Possible Summer Project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2009, 08:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to bose301s
Default Possible Summer Project

Well, I would love to build a set of bookshelf speakers just for fun. I think I have the tweeter picked out, looks interesting and Zaph really liked it. It is the SB-Acoustics SB29RDC-C000-4 Ring Dome tweeter. It is a new take on the ring radiator from SB. The woofer is up in the air but the main candidate is the SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-8 6" woofer. I am also considering the Exodus EX-6.5 Midwoofer and the CSS SDX7 Subduction 6.5" woofer. The prices on those are ~$50 more than the SB so I would prefer to use the SB, but if one of the other 2 are that much better I would probably be willing to switch. Any help is appreciated in this design and project.
Old 15th June 2009, 11:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

According to Zaph, the 6" SB has really low distortion, and would be hard to beat. Might need a higher order xover though, the high end is a bit ragged.

This was a prime candidate for my next, I chose the Peerless 830883 only because I can use a smaller box.
Old 16th June 2009, 01:26 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yea, that's why I wanted to use it, but for a 2 way that upper end break up is scaring me a bit. Does that Peerless have any better high end extension than the SB?
Old 16th June 2009, 02:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

in terms of extension, they're similar, it's just that the Peerless is a bit smoother
Zaph has tested them both
Old 16th June 2009, 02:20 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

If I were to do it with the SB would a 2.2K @ 24dB/oct work?
Old 16th June 2009, 08:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ok, I think I am going to eschew all of the choices I have posted up so far and go with the SEAS Prestige CA18RNX. I may have Madisound do the design for me, but if anyone has advice it is greatly appreciated.
Old 16th June 2009, 10:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Have a look at the newer version of this driver, Zaph's done all the hard work: http://www.zaphaudio.com/SR71.html

Driver choices are hard - now I find out that there are two versions of the 830833, and the local supplier is quoting the old specs... doesn't fill me with confidence

I'll probably hold off on my 2-way project for now, I've got plenty else to do with drivers I've already got (update my OBs, rebuild my cheap Jaycars, build some rears & sub for HT).
Old 17th June 2009, 05:07 AM   #8
MAV is offline MAV  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Go with the SB

I say give the SB 6" a shot. A friend of mine built a 2-way using the 6" SB mated to the regular SB dome tweeter. Both the bass and midrange of that driver are impressive.

I know he had to use a 3rd order network on the woofer, but I don't think that should scare you away from it. Though your Seas choice would also be great and probably only need a 2nd order x-o.

Either way, please keep us posted. I know a lot of folks are interested in hearing experiences with that tweeter. Good luck and have fun.
Old 17th June 2009, 11:25 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

This project is looking less and less likely to happen due to financial circumstances. I thought I would have enough money for it, but some on foreseen events are making it look like it may not happen, however if it does, I will keep everyone posted, for sure.

Hide this!Advertise here!