Beginner speaker building help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm setting up to build my first set of speakers to this design, and need to know a couple of things about them.

First off I have been told that these speakers will be perfectly fine and not overpowered by a 20W amp (the audiodigit class T 2020), is this correct?

And then secondly what power rating must the resistors I use have? The ones specified in the speaker design are 10W resistors but surely these won't handle the power from a 20W amp or is it not that simple? I don't want to set fire to my speakers!

I hope these questions aren't trivial or "noobish".

Thanks in advance

-Telemin-

Greetings Telemin from Australia where it is currently 5.50 in the morning. The answer to both questions is "Yes, they'll be fine" . They are not stupid questions. Someone said that the only stupid question is the one you DON"T ask.

The reason that the power ratings are okay is this. (A) At reasonable listening level (actual sound in the room) the amp is only using a few watts. one or two is not uncommon, you never have all 20 going through the speakers. (B) Secondly the sound level in music is very variable. There are loud passages followed by quieter ones. Unless you listen to a sine wave at full volume there are no problems at all. (C) Thirdly there is thermal lag in both resistors and voice coils. They take a finite time to heat up and burn out. Look at your toaster this morning and see that the element doesn't become red hot for a few seconds after you switch it on. . So both speakers and resistors have a impulse or short term power rating substantially higher than the nominal ratings. okay? Hope this makes sense.
Cheers Jonathan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.