Measured monopole and dipole room responses - Page 31 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2012, 10:30 AM   #301
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omholt View Post
When it comes to decay and resonances I would say the monopoles performs overall better. They are noticeable better between 70-200 Hz. The frequency response is clearly improved with the dipoles. Would be interesting to see what change of placements of both subs and sitting postion would do.
How would you say that monopole is better at 70-200 HZ. From listening experience, it is this very midbass region ( 40-120 Hz) where dipoles truly excel without any equalization and provide an excellent transient response where the sharp thump of a kickdrum is palpable. Below 40Hz, I agree that dipoles are inefficient.

Last edited by soundaatma; 11th October 2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11th October 2012, 10:36 AM   #302
Omholt is offline Omholt  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundaatma View Post
How would you say that monopole is better at 70-200 HZ. From listening experience, it is this very midbass region ( 40-120 Hz) where dipoles truly excel without any equalization and provide an excellent transient response where the sharp thump of a kickdrum is palpable. Below 40Hz, I agree that dipoles are inefficient.
I was commenting StigErik's measurements. They show less resonances and shorter decay in that area with the monopole.
Old 11th October 2012, 10:42 AM   #303
diyAudio Member

The decay is not shorter. The length of the room decay is the same. Its the LEVEL of the roomdecay that is different.
Old 11th October 2012, 10:48 AM   #304
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omholt View Post
I was commenting StigErik's measurements. They show less resonances and shorter decay in that area with the monopole.
No they don't. You have misinterpreted the graphs. It's actually the other way around, although the decay time is the same.
Old 11th October 2012, 10:55 AM   #305
Omholt is offline Omholt  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
No they don't. You have misinterpreted the graphs. It's actually the other way around, although the decay time is the same.
I understood what you said below, but I was simply commenting my comment.
And doesn't it also prove we are back to square one? It's what Gedlee has described many times. We are not comparing correctly and fairly.

Quote:
The difference is not what it seems, because the overall response from the monopole is uneven, and this affects the level of the decay as well. It may look like the decay is lower, but this is only because the speaker level is also lower. It would have been easier to compare the two if the monopole was EQ'ed to a flat response.

One other thing is that the dipole room decay starts at a level 15-20 dB below the speaker, while the monopole starts at the same level as the speaker.
Old 11th October 2012, 10:57 AM   #306
Banned

I don't think the discussion monopole vs dipole doesn't make much sense right now. Even more so if there's no comparable data.

Truck or car, which one is better? The question is: what is the goal and what are the tradeoffs using one solution over the other?
Old 11th October 2012, 11:05 AM   #307
diyAudio Member

To make a bullet-proof scientific and well documented comparison between dipole and monopole is a lot of work, and I am not going to do it.

I was just presenting my own view and experience on this, which just happens to be shared by virtually everyone who has any experience with dipoles. But we could be wrong of course.....

The most important thing for me is that my dipole bass is the best bass I've ever had.
Old 11th October 2012, 11:32 AM   #308
diyAudio Member

Take a look at my decay measurements again. The monopole has got one long decay, while the dipole has got at "knee" where the room decay really starts.

I know my data is far from comparable, but it shows an interesting difference between dipole and monopole.
Attached Images
File Type: png Monopole-decay.png (30.3 KB, 110 views)
File Type: png Dipole-decay.png (23.0 KB, 106 views)
Old 11th October 2012, 11:38 AM   #309
lolo is offline lolo  France
diyAudio Member

has actually anyone gone from dipole to monopole? the opposite does happen..
Old 11th October 2012, 11:49 AM   #310
Banned

Quote:
Take a look at my decay measurements again. The monopole has got one long decay, while the dipole has got at "knee" where the room decay really starts.
Was the monopole placed at the same distance to the receiver as the dipole?

Hide this!Advertise here!