Measured monopole and dipole room responses

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Here comes more measurement results :) Again the purpose is to study the room response of speakers having different radiation patterns.

I did several measurements in four locations A, B, C and D in the room. See the pic for positions.

I measured the following speakers:

- Monopole bass. One 12" element in a 100 litres closed box.

- Dipole bass. Two 12" elements in a H frame.

- Monopole bass-midrange. One 6.5" element in a 12 litres closed box.

- Dipole bass-midrange. One 8" element in a small open baffle.

- Dipole line array. Eight 6.5" elements in a vertical narrow baffle having height of 1.5 m.

The measurement signal is the same as before. It is a 5 cycle sinusoidal burst having Hanning envelope. Burst frequencies are spaced at 1/12 octave.

- Elias

Attachments

• paikat_geometria_a-b-c-d_da.png
    paikat_geometria_a-b-c-d_da.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 695
Here's the monopole bass envelope magnitude and envelope delay frequency responses.

The envelope magnitude is the maximum value of the envelope at the given frequency. The envelope delay is the delay the maximum value of the envelope occurs from the time point it should occur ideally. Zero envelope delay means envelope maximum is in the correct position with no additional delay.

Attachments

• monopolebass_a-b-c-d_taajuusvasteet_20hz-200hz_da_resize_90.jpg
    monopolebass_a-b-c-d_taajuusvasteet_20hz-200hz_da_resize_90.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 698
Hello,

gainphile said:
Would you care to provide some explanations, which area to look for and if there's any conclusions ?

Yes, I'm planning to draw some conclusions some of which I think can be quite interesting, but first I have more data to present :)

john k... said:
Are the dip[oles and monopoles equaized to have the same anechoic, on axis response?

The Envelope Mag frequency response curves ARE NOT equalised to be the same for different speakers. For the dipoles I use some slight 6dB/oct dipole correction only, but that is mainly to increase the dynamic range of the measurement.

The spectrograms ARE equalised mathematically so that at each frequency the maximum value of the envelope is referenced to 0 dB. That can be seen in the spectrogram pics where the max value has allways the same colour. I think this equalisation gives better view of the room temporal response since one can directly compare different speakers at different frequencies one to one.

- Elias

To continue, let's move higher in frequency and look at the range of 20Hz to 2kHz.

First here's the monopole bass-midrange room response at different locations A, B, C and D:

Attachments

• monopolemid_a-b-c-d_spektrogram_20-2khz_da_resize_80.jpg
    monopolemid_a-b-c-d_spektrogram_20-2khz_da_resize_80.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 483
Great test-

THank you for posting your test results. I would like to raise a concern I have regarding the comparison between the various tests. I am concerned that by using different drivers and baffle widths you are ignoring the baffle's role in the equation.

I would not consider the comparison between dipole and dipole line array to be complete until you are using the same drivers on the same shape baffle.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.