Measured monopole and dipole room responses - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2012, 11:03 AM   #151
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by john k... View Post
with a sealed box woofer for example, there is little point is spending the money (IMO) for a woofer with cut off well below the room's first mode (F1) if the room is going to boost the bass below F1. You will just end up cutting the low bass with eq to compensate for the excess pressurization.
Agreed but how would the average consumer ever know what the first mode in his room is? And for 115dB SPL movie reference at the listening position (!) I have yet to see a case where one would want a woofer to have a higher cut off (or better, less air-moving capabilities).

Last edited by markus76; 5th October 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 5th October 2012, 11:20 AM   #152
6.283 is offline 6.283  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
I have yet to see a case where one would want a woofer to have a higher cut off (or better, less air-moving capabilities).
HT and music are different applications that need different systems or "tactics" unless you are often listening to organ music or what not. In typical music there is not much information below..say 25Hz.
Old 5th October 2012, 11:24 AM   #153
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.283 View Post
HT and music are different applications that need different systems or "tactics" unless you are often listening to organ music or what not.
I don't think they need different "tactics". From a practical standpoint only max. SPL requirements differ.
Different use cases allow for different implementations, yes, but any use case benefits from less modal ringing and a smooth frequency response.
Old 5th October 2012, 11:25 AM   #154
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.283 View Post
What exactly was shocking you ?
At the time, the fact that the dipole excited the modes in that frequency range so much more than the monopole or cardioid. I was not expecting that. Maybe shocking is too strong a word. I was surprised might be better stated. The only explanation I could think of is that the cardioid and monopole excite additional modes in that frequency range which have opposite phase and lead to smoother over all response. It's like I have said before; that a dipole excites fewer modes doesn't necessarily lead to smoother response. It's a mixed bag.
Old 5th October 2012, 11:32 AM   #155
Banned

Quote:
At the time, the fact that the dipole excited the modes in that frequency range so much more than the monopole or cardioid.
Very uncommon for someone advocating (?) dipoles to present such data. Kudos to you. At times the monopole/dipole discussion gets way too dogmatic which really prevents progress.
Old 5th October 2012, 11:36 AM   #156
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Agreed but how would the average consumer ever know what the first mode in his room is? And for 115dB SPL movie reference at the listening position (!) I have yet to see a case where one would want a woofer to have a higher cut off (or better, less air-moving capabilities).
That's why I supplied a spread sheet with the plans. The build would input his room dimensions and the suggested woofer cut off would pop out. The speaker were design with music in mind.

Well, like I said, I find HT bass annoying, both at home and in theaters.
Old 5th October 2012, 11:40 AM   #157
diyAudio Member

Quote:
From a practical standpoint only max. SPL requirements differ.
Only ? This is exactly such a requirement that makes a big difference imho
Old 5th October 2012, 11:41 AM   #158
Banned

Quote:
That's why I supplied a spread sheet with the plans. The build would input his room dimensions and the suggested woofer cut off would pop out.
Do you get a lot of feedback how good this works in real rooms? I'd think there are more variables to account for than just room dimensions.

Quote:
The speaker were design with music in mind.
What does that mean?

Quote:
Well, like I said, I find HT bass annoying, both at home and in theaters.
Everybody has his preference
Old 5th October 2012, 11:43 AM   #159
diyAudio Member

Quote:
At the time, the fact that the dipole excited the modes in that frequency range so much more than the monopole or cardioid. I was not expecting that. Maybe shocking is too strong a word. I was surprised might be better stated. The only explanation I could think of is that the cardioid and monopole excite additional modes in that frequency range which have opposite phase and lead to smoother over all response. It's like I have said before; that a dipole excites fewer modes doesn't necessarily lead to smoother response. It's a mixed bag.
Thanks, I was not sure if you were referring to the picture 2 pages back.
Could this be a placement / room issue or did you observe that in multiple rooms ?
Old 5th October 2012, 12:19 PM   #160
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Do you get a lot of feedback how good this works in real rooms? I'd think there are more variables to account for than just room dimensions.
In a word, no.

Quote:
What does that mean?

It means I would not recommend my speaker for the typical HT/movie set up. If movies are your thing you should look for something else. If your HT is for viewing concert DVDs that's another issue. But then you don't need 115 dB at 20 Hz.

Hide this!Advertise here!