Measured monopole and dipole room responses

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I haven't had time to read the entire thread, but correct me if I'm wrong. Dipoles can't pressurise a room like a monopole subwoofer can.

Dipoles have an 18 dB total drop per octave once wavelengths surpass baffle size? I was having an argument with a guy who claims his big ESL's can wipe the floor with monopole subs and how the roll off is not as steep as monopole subs. I don't understand that. I assumed dipolar operation meant there would be more cancellation, hence a more steep roll-off.

I read some of John's articles and I won't lie, I don't understand much of it. But he mentioned dipoles not benefiting from room mode pressurisation, if I understand him correctly. Monopole/dipoles don't excite room modes in the same way.

I would love to read the thread but 57 pages? I have long way to go then. :)

Yeah well to give you an idea (monopole sub vs dipolar ) he said that :

Assume nearly 1m2 (10000cm2) (Acoustat-M3, perhaps M4 or 2+2, easily) ESL panel, with (for argument sake) max. excursion of +/- 1mm (2mm total movement) (practically, this is "elevator music level" volume on ESLs),
Assume a large (12") sub (cone area ~700cm2 - 14 times smaller area than ESL)
=> For the same volume of air to be displaced, the sub cone has to move +/- 14mm (28mm total movement)

Now, assume +/- 2.5mm average ESL membrane displacement, for a very low listening volume; Total Sub cone movement of 70mm!!! (coil in the magnet gap). In order for coil/magnet flux field to maintain the required motor strength (ability to pull back the coil) the length of the pole piece would have to be ... at least 100mm?

Seems like a completely erroneous comparison given that once you place the woofer in a box, you won't need anywhere close to that 70mm p-p figure. That's just crazy.

And Earl Geddes says that there is no pressure gain for monopoles also. :rolleyes:

Rudolf

Why would you say that? because I never said what you claim.:rolleyes: If the room is completely sealed then there is pressurization. But show me a completly sealed room! Now if it is not completely sealed then how can it contain a static pressure change?

Last edited:
No reason to doubt active absorption wouldn't work.

Thats not the point, I don't deny that it works. I deny "You'd need to employ a DBA to get smooth response throughout the whole room." I don't see any one technique as being clearly superior to another. It may end up that one is more advantageous (but the jury is still out on that), but it would be a relatively small difference not a major one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.