Measured monopole and dipole room responses

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
But if you rotate the mid bass then the direct sound diminishes and I am not eve sure that there is a big issue in that range as the source is already directional, hence there is less room interaction.

How directional is dipole midbass up to let's say 400Hz? This is John's NaO Note:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
6.283, I wasn't talking about subs but about dipole midwoofer in the mains (>80Hz). Never seen a concept that would let the user rotate the midbass unit. This would be a significant advantage compared to a boxed speaker.
markus ... if the sub/woofer is xo'ed to mains around the Schroeder frequency what would be the point of rotating a mid/woofer in the mains? In a 2-way dipole main this would be problematic .. no?

My mains are HP to independent sub/woofers (in U frames) @116hz (LF cutoff) 4th order. I can't be the only person doing something like this.

I'm still not sure about that nearfield usage for subs, I've never tried it. I would be very concerned with localization of this source due to higher order effects that are not an issue for a distant sub. Closed boxes do minimize these effects. Port noise would make their use in this application untenable.

Attached is a near field measurement of a monopole vs. a dipole. Red is about 1ft. in front of the speaker, green and yellow 2ft. to the left and the right.

The modal effects are clearly visible in the monopole case. Overall the near field response is remarkably smooth in both cases when compared to the far field.

Attachments

• nf-monopole-vs-dipole.png
    nf-monopole-vs-dipole.png
    83.2 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
But the idea that you can plot a dipole woofer down anywhere and get superior bass because it excites fewer modes just doesn't bear out.

Thanks, 'completely agree. And hence the same is true with monopoles being kind of the opposite animal. Both need some thoughts where to drop them.

John - I too completly agree

It sounds like subwoofer position and room dimensions matter the most.
There are a bunch of simple room mode calculators out there but maybe we should make a sophisticated software simulator that would tell people what is the ideal subwoofer position for their particular room.

We can start simple with a simulated SPL map of the room at various frequencies and let the user pick different monopole subwoofer positions. Ideally we would want to simulate multiple sources, different source configurations (monopole, dipole, cardioid), irregular room shapes, furniture and sound absorption.

A scaled physical model should give some insights as well. I read on Linkwitz's site that he initially picked up the 2" Aura tweeter to do room modes simulation with a small room model. During his experiments it occured to him to try the that driver as a fullrange in the Pluto speaker.

A dipole is a dipole and does not change directivity at all (in theory), especially not at long wavelengths ;) That's why I told you where it typically starts to change.

Again, the topic was LF. One can make the dipole null "point" in different directions by rotation. This shouldn't change the direct sound significantly but it will alter the way the dipole couples to modes. This can't be done with a monopole. To my knowledge there is no dipole speaker that would exploit that advantage.

P.S. No, don't rotate the whole speaker, just the LF unit.

Hi,

There's at least the Gradient Revolution loudspeaker with rotatable dipole bass.

Revolution

Another point about cardioid bass. Is it not more likely to couple to maximum number of modes as it will excite both the velocity and and pressure modes? Meanwhile the dipole or monopole may be sitting in a null. I think I read this in some AES paper by Backman. Any thoughts?

Again, the topic was LF.
Again, it does not matter what the topic is as long as the radiation pattern does not change. But nevermind. Let's stop this.

To my knowledge there is no dipole speaker that would exploit that advantage.
P.S. No, don't rotate the whole speaker, just the LF unit.
Every dipole speaker can do this where

a. The sub is "separated" from the rest
b. the sub goes up to your desired F.

To get to the Schröder F (or a little beyond) with reasonable output you might require already 2 drivers per side.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.