Morel speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Need some advice on morel speakers , I searched online for DIY schemes but found nothing but Eltim Designs ...

any thought about the new carbon fiber 6' woofers ( SCW 636 ) ? the F3 is 117hz the cone must be super strong :) ... I thought about making some 2-way with it and the supreme tweeter ...

Morel SCW636
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8474

Morel SUPREME ST1108
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=589

Hi DIFORCE,
Morel SCW636 Fs=40Hz, so you probably have numbers for a Morel Mid F3 closed or BR box or something, not a bass box like in a 2 way. They are very good (expensive too) did you look at the price. how do you go along to chose the tweeter(?) and price range.

Morel Tweeters from Madisound
https://www.madisound.com/manufacturers/morel/new_tweeters.php

The Morel SUPREME ST1108 is an excellent tweeter used in the new carbon fiber morels
http://www.soundstagev.com/showvideo.php?vname=ces09_morel&vtype=n

I cant imagine how that driver can behave with a reasonable bass extension with only 0.1 cuft of volume . The price is much cheaper to me as i live in israel and have access to morels HQ , so im thinking about buying thier best drivers and building some hi end 2-way with them ... Problem is the minor box volumes madisound recommends that i cant understand :) .. Could someone explain to me how can i tell the bass extension with the f3 value ? I know its resonance freq but what exacly can i learn from it ?

The only thing I know of Morel is that they are made in Israel and seem to be on the expensive side, but I have heard they are well built.

While researching several 10" woofers for a 3-way closed box project I found it interesting that Morel MW1075 woofer had the lowest Xmax. I think that may be the case with for their smaller woofers as well.

I wonder are they doing something differently with their motor system to end up with the same performance compared to other brands that have higher Xmax?

Retroman

retroman said:
I wonder are they doing something differently with their motor system to end up with the same performance compared to other brands that have higher Xmax?

Unfortunately, I don't think they are. I have Morel HU631 drivers (quoted +/-4.25mm Xmax) and that certainly is all they will do cleanly. There is quite a lot of motor noise before this point too :(

They appear nicely made though and should hande a lot of thermal power; just not ideal for my open ended transmission line subwoofer (the bass it gives is impressively low, but not much SPL)!

Diforce -

I have used the Morel MDT 20 and a very small faceplate neo model (I believe the MDT 40). They are excellent tweeters. Very smooth and somewhat warm. I experimented with a high Q doped paper midwoofer (MW 114 ?) and wasn't pleased with it at all. However, that could have been due to the crossover and cabinet dimensions, not the driver. I am very interested in their new carbon fiber woofers.

Although Morels are expensive, I would definitely consider them for a project. The build quality is improving, and the company appears to be committed to developing new drivers using newer technologies.

Regards,

Karl

Couldnt find any info on f3 or fs values and how can i use it . " x volume enclosure for a 45 fs " - what does that tell me exacly ? Is lower better ? Anyway i know that many people consider lower xmax to sound actualy better then higher xmax , including jon ( thats his name right ? ) from zaph audio . Im using morel elite speakers in my car and the woofers can certainly handly lots of power and show no sign of giving up while producing clean low bass .

DIFORCE said:
Couldnt find any info on f3 or fs values and how can i use it . " x volume enclosure for a 45 fs " - what does that tell me exacly ? Is lower better ? Anyway i know that many people consider lower xmax to sound actualy better then higher xmax , including jon ( thats his name right ? ) from zaph audio . Im using morel elite speakers in my car and the woofers can certainly handly lots of power and show no sign of giving up while producing clean low bass .

Look here for recommended cabinets as an example. Or learn how to use WinISD to simulate best box/F3 alignments.

http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/index_en.htm?/hifi/morel_en.htm

Diforce -

I agree with Inductor regarding WinISD. Start "playing" with different speaker drivers and box types. WinISD is a free speaker box program. It is very basic but will get you started nicely.

It would also be a very good idea to begin reading a good, basic book on speaker building. Weems and Alden have both published books that are comprehensive and easily understood by the beginner. However, please remember that the projects featured in most books use drivers that become unavailable after a time.

What is most important is the kind of sound that you like, not what someone else likes. I, for example, really prefer a sealed design for the "main" speakers and a vented sub. Traditionally, Morel drivers have had the characteristics that make good sealed speakers. Choose drivers that will provide the sound that you like. You will learn this through trial and error and a lot of listening.

Regards,

Karl

Morel drivers have very poor price/performance ratio, I have heard a few of the polymer cone drivers and I was far away of pleased. They used to do Dynaudio clones which measured and sounded worse than the Dynaudio originals. The way they design the chassis will lead to lots of back waves going to the cone, also the cone material they use sounds plastic ( if you understand what I mean ). Zaph also has some measurements and comments on his website about the polymer cone drivers, you might want to read the thread. There are much better drivers in this price range. If you could get them at like 50% of the listed price they will be a good solution.
The Morel tweeters on the other side - I have never heard any of them but a few friends of mine have done so. This impression is based on their reviews and their feedback was very good. One of them was very suprised by the sound of the Supreme series.

Mario -

Yes, you have a good point regarding Morel's older drivers. While their parameters were attractive, I did find that one small midwoofer to have that "slow" or "soggy" sound typical of plastic and doped paper cones. Hopefully, the newer units will benefit from the cast baskets and Kevlar cones, features I have liked very much in other drivers.

Regarding Morel tweeters, I would like to see a 3/4" dome.

Regards,

Karl

I looked at the Elite SCW636 as it is a part of the new line - it does not look very attractive at this price point...The chassis is still the same, the dust cap is glued to the diaphragm not one piece, there are two bumps each of about 5db - one at 6.5kHz and one more at 10Khz - these two, one after each other make the work with this driver ( SCW636 ) very complicated. The sensitivity is rated at 87db but measured at 2.83V when this is an 8ohm driver, which makes it quite insensitive. I have listened to many carbon fiber drivers and to me, they should never be used over 400-500Hz as when over this frequency you could easily sense it is a carbon driver, to me they do sound very cold and they all have a specific sound which indicates this is a carbon speaker.

Without to have heard any, I am quite sure the SB Acoustics drivers would sound better and they are cheaper. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.