Larger System Prebuild Insight

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

Since I've been on diyaudio I've built a pair of 3" glass speakers which I'm quite happy about. I think I want to try something bigger for my next project. So far it seems like most people are using kits from zaph, planet10 or linkswitz. I think I've narrowed it down to either the ZDT3.5 from Zaph
http://zaphaudio.com/ZDT3.5.html
or the pluto from linkswitz. Personally I think the one from Zaph is easier and will perform better? Does anyone have any insight / comments about that design? Also, I've heard issues about "surface moutning" drivers, does that mean I should use a router bit and flush mount them instead?

Thanks!

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I've been reading up on 3.5 way systems. Apparently they're not so good for vocals?

Any 3.5 way that I have built is to add extra bass, as far as I am concerned vocals are determined more by your selection of midrange driver and making the midrange pass-band as wide as possible crossing as low as possible.

If adding a .5 driver in a 3-way system it is only ever been a first order low pass below 120Hz ( I'd go lower but that is a readily available inductor value)

I guess it is less common these days with better drivers around but used to be seen in many Japanese speakers, and sharing common box volumes too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.