Cabinet bracing for Rabbitz Vifa P13 / D27 speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am starting out to build Rabbitz version of Scott C. Blaier's Esquire with the Vifa P13WH-00-08 woofer and Vifa D27TG-45-06 tweeter. The version that I am building is this one
Speaker Plan.

I have been reading the loudspeaker wiki and started wondering about bracing / damping the speaker. I am building it out of 18mm MDF and have bought some Monacor MDM-3 damping material (mixture of lambswool and man-made fibres).

My questions are:
Do I need to worry about bracing and if so then should it be just diagonal strips of wood across the biggest panels or a 'holey panel brace' which also contacts the magnet on the back of the woofer?

I have not bought any vibration killing materials e.g. pads that are used to damp vibrations in cars etc, would these be helpful?

Finally I'm not sure how much damping material is required - obviously there will be some scope to play with this, but I wasn't sure how best to attach it and whether to attch it to all walls or just the back wall

Thanks in advance for your help

Another Novocastrian but in a different country.... cool.

Have a look at this thread starting at this post as it shows some bracing and damping for a recent small box design. It shows a brace between the tweeter and woofer and a cross brace on the side panels.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1836975#post1836975

There's a small amount of room in this box and as a minimum I install the damping over the back and bottom. There's a pic in that thread that shows it.

The one I built was cut and shut from the box in the pic below and shows what's inside mine (before the rear port was installed). The series crossover I used was the one with 3.3uF cap + 0.45mH inductor and 5R6 resistor with +ve polarity on the tweeter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.