Midrange suggestion...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nappylady said:
Addendum: I'm looking now at the Audax PM170MO in the Madisound catalog, and I have but two concerns:

1. the rolloff at the bottom end starts a bit above my intended crossover point, and I'm worried that might cause a dip in the response right there. Can I overcome that with the design of the box?

2. Right at the upper xover point I see what looks like combing artifacts, and while I presume that's just diffraction crap from the baffle they used, I want the "Pro DIYer" opinion on this... will the combing go away if I shape the baffle differently or do something else to it? (Right now I'm thinking of putting a layer of open-cell foam on the front baffle and shaping it like a violin, to kill diffraction patterns... My woodworking may suck, but my foam working is fantastic! :D )

Thanks for all the imput you guys; you're awesome.

PR17M0 is a great driver for low
cost, actually, one if not the
best sounding midranges I've heard.
Cross it over at 300 hz - 400hz.

For higher powered, the next 6.5"
that comes to mind is the PHL1120,
it's almost identical to that Audax
PR17, but xmax is much higher,
2.5mm vs. .5 so it can actually be
driven harder with less distortion.

If you want even more higher
power handling, perhaps 400-600w,
then I would use the PHL1660.
It's a larger VC of the PHL1120 I think
and the sonics are very close to 1120.

These would make great sound
systems for an audiophile system,
for PA, then it's not a problem.

Cost is much higher than PR17.

I have all these drivers, I did my
own listening tests, sonics are great.

If you want to operate at a low
crossover point, then you should
seek the PHL 10" midrange.
My PHL2520 8" midrange is pretty
loud and clean, but it lacks the top
end that the 1120 has, but you
can cross them over around 200hz
if you really had too.

system design is a game of
compromises.

P.S. I've driven my PHL's with
a bridged Adcom 555 (600w @ 8 ohms), the drivers were crossed
electronically around 220hz - 400hz,
18db/octave, depending on which ones tested. I had no problems
driving them hard. If it passes my
abuse, should work for most people.
heheheh

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
thylantyr said:
For higher powered, the next 6.5"
that comes to mind is the PHL1120,
it's almost identical to that Audax
PR17

It is of interest to note hear that the engineers that designed the PR17, are the ones who went off on there own and formed PHL, so the PHL mids could be considered as the evolionary heritage of the PR17s.

dave

navin said:
aren't the PHLs significantly more expensive thne the Pr17s?

thylantyr (or Peter Daniel) how good are teh PHLs. I have not had any expereince with them. Are their bass drivers just as good?

what light can you shed on PHL bass, mid or HF drivers?

PR17 cost $69 US, PHL 1120 cost $129 US (last time I checked),
could be different slightly.

After 2+ years of trying to find "good sounding, high
sensitivity" midranges, the PHL's won my prize and is
chosen for my crazy home stereo project. Not many
high sensitivity drivers out there, it makes choosing easier.
I preferred the PHL sonics to Focal midranges. I don't
like Focal Utopia cones at all, I think the Focal Kevlar midranges
sound much better. Personal taste I guess.

I have not tried their bass drivers, they ones I've seen
on the PHL website don't model very low in frequency
so I didn't bother trying them. The woofer of choice
for my project is Lambda TD15 (Apollo version).
Stage Accompany tweeter, PHL midrange, Lambda woofers. I'm happy.

www.phlaudio.com
www.lambdacoustics.com
http://www.stageaccompany.com/cdload.html

Now Nappylady, I know you want pa speakers.So only use a pa driver,because 'most' hifi speakers are not meant pa/disco and at constant high volume levels for hours will damage the voice coil.
And as you wanted Spl 1w at 1m 96db or more,there are plently of pa drivers to choose from.And also you wanted a flat response from 310hz-3100hz.

For the best quality sound,TAD pa loudspeaker drivers are the best,but they don't come cheap,in fact they are very expensive.

ElectroVoice,Beyma,JBL are still musicical sounding pa drivers,without sounding dull or harsh or coloured[certain type of harmonic distortion].But these are still expensive

For a resonable amount,Eminence,Fane,Celestion do some very high Sensitivity drivers.The sound quality is ok,with Eminence,Fane,Celestion drivers,but they are more designed to handle high volume levels,large bass excersions,high SPL,and some abuse and last for years and years[as long as you don't drive the amp into clipping].

Eminence Delta 10 is a nice bass/mid driver. 350w rms,65HZ-3.5khz,10 inch,2.5 inch voice coil on kapton former,paper cone,linen surround,56 oz magnet,average sensitivity 1w at 1m 99 db.

And as you want to build active speakers,You can be active plate amps with heatsinks attached [bought seperately] made by DAS and other manufactors like Velleman,HK Audio.

;) ;) ;) :nod: :devilr: :bulb:

midrange sugg

navin said:
aren't the PHLs significantly more expensive thne the Pr17s?

thylantyr (or Peter Daniel) how good are teh PHLs. I have not had any expereince with them. Are their bass drivers just as good?

what light can you shed on PHL bass, mid or HF drivers?

For domestic HI-FI use, not really P.A., I can tell that the 1230 (16 Ohm) and the 1220 (8 Ohm), 6.5 inch models are quite accurate in 2 way designs. 93 dB each, if paired (the 1230 is easy to tube amp), it can really be joyfull, especially when pushed. Heard them in D'Apolitto config with a Raven R1 tweeter (2.5 kHz 36dB cut) and 'was magical (Bryston 4B amp) .
:bigeyes:
Basically, PHL are for PA uses, but part of their line product seems to easily fit many domestic plans.

I got two pairs of PHL 1230 and this summer plan to do something with them, after keeping 4 years on a shelf. I still didn't decide which 6.5" drivers will go to the main system (the other choice are Triangles T160). PHL supposed to sound pretty good, but again, I still didn't listen to them. And I cannot acccept 36dB crossover in a tweeter;)

I also acquired recently a pair of Audio Technology 5" (but they look like 6") units and plan to built nice monitors with them.;)

midrange sugg.

To Navin :
for midrange uses, one should notice dispersion probs occur above 2.8 kHz with both 1220-1230 models. Natural for a 6.5. Honest enough to signal this detail on their website.

To Peter D. :
36 dB slope around 2.5 or 2.8 kHz in order to protect the ribbon. I also heard them with a Beyma tweeter. As you might know, Zalytron promotes the ribbon R-2 with 2 X 1230, and their sugg. high-pass X-O seems quite strong.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.