Cast frame Audio Nirvana 12 inch in open baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone who has heard one of these have any comment about using it in an open baffle with two 15" speakers covering from mavbe 200 - 300Hz downwards. The Nirvana models well in this situation as the lack of xmax is not an issue. On the sims I did I cut the 15s fairly steeply but rolled the nirvana off at 6 dB/octave below about 500 Hz. the 15s were about 2 dB more efficient. I really want to know if it sounds OK. I like the bigger units as they seem to me to sound more real. The alternative is the P Audio coax 12" which has been used in other open baffle speakers. I will be using subs below 50 - 60 Hz and if the Nirvanas sound OK this will make subs more affordable. Thanks for any replies, jamikl

Hi,

never used a Fullrange that large (15"bass + max 8", but same problem), I expect lacking highs at usual hearing distance. Even though it will sound 'ok' at first. Mounting a tweeter from behind is maybe an option.
(Acoustic-) Crossover at 300Hz is a good idea, I'd say go for it.
The Coax will sound different thats for sure, its a matter of taste (I would vote for Coax)

-Micha

The highs will beam and sound rough. Some people try to avoid crossing over the bass drivers higher than around 120Hz because then part of the male voice will be coming from close to the floor. I'm not sure how much that is an issue though. Adding a tweeter made my system (similar to the above) sound much better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.