How to achieve the LIVE sound? Like you ARE THERE?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
RJ said:
The secret is in the midrange. I've been putting together a system from the first of the year and it's narrowed down to this.
Preamp - Behringer tube hybrid.
Amp - Peavey Windsor 100 watt tube amp. Replaced the tubes with 6CA7's and Mullard 12AX7.
Speakers - 2 Crate 4x12's with Compression horn tweeters. B&C DE10 with Pyle PH12 horn.
McIntosh CD player.

Metallica's Enter Sandman cranked up will blow you away. Like being front row and the best part of it was as clear & clean as can be.

I'm not done yet. To fill the vertical hole I'm adding two more Crate 4x12's, sorta MTM style but huge...

Also plays pop, jazz & classical very well. The big surprise was listening to Trance. The swirling dervish of instruments in a deep & wide soundstage was simply great..

I'm using a Crate 2x15 bass cab. I just got this last weekend used for $49.99 at a guitar store. I took my chances. I'm using this to help my modified 901 on the mid bass frequencies. The Klipsch powered sub I got is only good for 120Hz and below and therefore the sound has a hole in it. The 901s' are great for mid range and high freq and this is what I used them for. Not to mention the 901s' array set up adds to big and spacious sound, filling up the room nicely. I rewired the bass cab for stereo operation, no passive crossover just straight to the amp with the treble control turned down. I'm using an old Denon AVR reciever in Matrix mode for clear vocals on the 901. 901s' are turned backwards so now 8 drivers are facing forward and 1 is facing rear. I also removed the restrictive cloth that muffles the high frequencies. I placed the 901's on the wall about 2 to 3 feet from the side walls. They still function as direct/reflecting speakers as 4 of the drivers per cabinet is firing straight to the sidewalls and the walls reflect the sound towards the middle of the room.

The bass cab is powered by a Yamaha M80 and C80. I'm also using BBE 362 Sound Maximizer which I bought just last month. Great combo, sounds big but not ear peircing. Vocals are creepy sometimes specially when I played Michael Jackson's Gone Too Soon. Some of the vocals I used for testing: Carpenters, Celine Dione, Cranberries. So far so good. Will play some classic rock this weekend and some hip hop also.

I discriminate between tonal, dynamic, and spacial realism.

Tonal realism means uncolored sound. In this context I like big horn systems with compression driver midrangers like Cessaro (which I have heard with different very neutral sounding valve amps or the Martion Orgon wich is a fully active system with Class A SS amps.
These horns are also very good at dynamic realism, but in this context I like BIG ribbons most. I have listened to Analysis speakers, which have magnetostatic bass panels and to the Daly Scyline with dynamic bass many years ago.
These, like all dipole speakers, are bad at spacial realism. The speakers are not localizable and have some kind of spaceousness, but no realism. The big horns are slightly worse than conventional multi-way-speakers.
In this respect the best I know are my own speakers which were inspired by the late Carlsson orthoacoustic speakers. They can only produce realism when it is there on the recording, however.
A technique that can produce the they-are-here (not you-are-there) Effect also with bad recordings are ceiling firing fullrange-drivers with sufficient treble rise or EQ (no diffusor!).

http://www.carlssonplanet.com/oa52_2.php
The Carlsson speakers are placed directly at the rear wall and some distance away from the side walls, close to the floor. Very early reflections are prevented by absorbers. Ideal is said to be a room with reflecting concrete ceiling and absorbing carpet floor. In my listening room both is wood, maybe this is the reason why I need to place the middrange at ear-height. Also good because they are three-ways with fairly big bass box beneath. I don´t want to post pictures no because they are still ugly prototypes and will have their final Polyurethane enclosures in a week or so.

Possibly you would like these too:

IMG_4533.jpg

The cans are the speakers, and the barrel at the bottom is the woofer.

Possibly you would like these too:

IMG_4533.jpg

The cans are the speakers, and the barrel at the bottom is the woofer.

thank You so much Rudolf :)

very interesting and I like it a lot, IMHO omni is the way to go and I am very glad seeing that yet another and at the same time such an innovative and respected (at least in diy internet community) manufacturer has taken it

best!
graaf

hey el`Ol! :)
I really would like to see those Carlsson-inspired speakers which I perceive as a kind of an offspring of my "room-loudspeker-space" thread :D
Have You finally completed them?

Hello graaf!

I have been struggling with myself some time whether I should find the bass too slim or not. Alternatives I have considered were bass drivers with higher sensitivity, bi-amping, or going towards a satellite system plus bass horn. I tended towards liking the tonal balance better when I had my head directly between the speakers close to the wall. Today I measured this position and found the bass objectively too thick. So I have desided to finally build it the way it is, because this is objectively more correct. I know it´t a shame to still listen with the prototypes after such a long time, but I swear I´ll have the final enclosures ready in a week. :guilty:
To my shame a picture of a prototype:

Attachments

• CIMG0099.JPG
    CIMG0099.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 87
Go to htguide.com and type jon speaker article and get the extensive article written by john marsh. It outlines his methodology in designing a speaker and discusses many issues. I think some of the things he discusses there will be helpful to you.

D

edit: that was supposed to read "type jon speaker article in the search"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.