Speaker Workshop calibration broblem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have set up a basic Speaker Workshop test bench. I have been going through the manuals step by step calibration process. All goes well right up to the point where I have to calibrate the Jig. I am using the simple cable version of the Jig. When it tries to measure the first resistor (20 Ohm) it tells me that "there is an open at the input check your connections carefully". I have checked all my connections with a multimeter and all is well. I also went back to stage where you calibrate volume and it is recording the feedback signal just fine. The other odd thing is that when I ignore this message and move on to measure the second resistor (4.7 Ohm) it works fine. This has stopped me dead in my tracks. I don't get it.
Anyone have a suggestion as to what I could try?

Just for clarification the values in my cable Jig are as follows.
Reference resistor is 10 Ohm
The first resistor is 20 Ohm
The second resistor is 4.7 Ohm

Thanks for the idea. Gave it a go and it is the same deal. The first resistor calibration fails every single time. I went over all my connections again and it all seems good.
Beyond that I entered dummy values to see if the passive component reader would work and it too fails to read anything. I connect a resistor and it tells me I have a capacitor of some random value attached :confused:

I am very frustrated by the process at this point. All I need to do is measure one woofer and get on with my crossover. I will not even need the rig again for a few years :xeye:

Anyone have a good set of readings from the KEF B200 SP1032 in the 104ab enclosure? If so PLEASE do share.

Did you do a channel balance calibration first?

Try measuring a resistor with default values for calibration. What do you get?

If you still have problems, some possibilities are: your levels are set wrong, your inputs could be muted, you are using the wrong input, your card is having duplex issues, is fried or incompatible, or your jig is somehow not working properly.

Thanks the the tips.

I went back and did a channel balance calibration and ran the jig calibration again. Unfortunately the results are the same.
In the Jig definition page I enter these values
10 Ohms
200.0 m Ohms
I then hit the test button and tell it my first resistor value is 4.7 Ohms and hit next. It then tells me that "Warning. You seem to have an open circuit at the Jig input instead of a resistance. Check your connections carefully".
At this point I check my connections and all seems well. Then I give it a 20 Ohm resistor for the second resistor value and hit next. The results make no sense to me at all.
Reference Resistor -253.39 m Ohms
Series Resistance -76.30 Ohms
Things are way out of whack somewhere. I am confident that the levels and channel balance are OK because when I run the sine wave test all looks fine. I have a high quality audio interface but I am very reluctant to set up SW on it as I cant afford to have it to get any type of damage.

Hi Mike,
let's see if the jig is the problem.

Unplug it from the sound card.
With the reference resistor (10 ohm) AND the calibration resistor (4.7 ohm) connected to the jig, use your multimeter to measure the resistance between the GROUND and RIGHT IN, placing the mutimeter probes on the LINE IN MINIPLUG. You should read 4.7 ohm.
Now place the multimeter probes on GROUND and LEFT IN, and the result should be the series resistance of 10 and 4.7 ohm, that is 14.7 ohm.

Next place the probes on the LINE OUT minijack, GRD and LEFT OUT, to measure 14.7 ohm. Between RIGHT OUT and GND you should read nothing, since there's no connection.

If you pass these tests, lokks like your jig is working good.

Mike-Toronto said:
OK so the jig is messed up.
Outs read like this.
Ground to R = 6.4
Ground to L = 16.4

Input's read like this
Ground to L = 14.9
Ground to r = 0

Sorry I reversed the In's and outs

In the end I have RE-checked the connections again and the jig is right where it should be. I run the jig calibration yet again and no luck passing the first resistor test. I still get a clear interactive response when checking volume for left and right channels. This would confirm that there is good signal getting back into the computer would it not?
I have tried installing it and reinstalling to see if I would get somewhere but it remembers all the old settings.

Forget calibration until you can get some sort of measurement without an error. Have you set levels? Can you play and record a simple sine wave like in the level setting procedure??

Try reversing the channels in software look under options/preferences under the measurements tab in the I/O frame...

If that doesn't work, take some screen shots of your measurement.in.l and r screens and fft's. What kind of card do you have, and take some pics of your jig, etc.. You need to provide more data or nobody will be able to figure it out for you.

Ron E said:
Forget calibration until you can get some sort of measurement without an error. Have you set levels? Can you play and record a simple sine wave like in the level setting procedure??

Yes I can set levels, I have said that I can do this three times.

Originally posted by Ron E Try reversing the channels in software look under options/preferences under the measurements tab in the I/O frame...[/B]

No luck with that.

Originally posted by Ron E If that doesn't work, take some screen shots of your measurement.in.l and r screens and fft's. What kind of card do you have, and take some pics of your jig, etc.. You need to provide more data or nobody will be able to figure it out for you. [/B]

Below is a link to a few photos. I forgot to take a shot of the fft. It looks that there might be a problem there. At 1k there is a massive rise, right to 160dB. Again thank you for all your time!
http://cid-00923b32741a3827.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/speaker workshop

It took me a few hours to build the Wallin Jig for Speaker Workship, and I wasted a few hours learning the program. I'd guess a total of 20 hours or so. After all that, I found that I spent 30-60 minutes calibrating things EVERY time I wanted to do a measurement.

The PE Woofer Tester III just *works*, and it's a hundred bucks.

I still have SW installed to do the occasional gated measurement, but Arta does that with a lot less hassle, and more consistent results.

I *do* like it's crossover program though, it does great simulations and it's easy to use.

For everything else, I just use Arta and WT3, it's waaaaaaaaaaay less hassle.

Well, you seem to have negative DC offset and negative clipping. That could be part of your problem? Do you get this with an external amp, or just with the card? If you clip with the test signals, results are gibberish. Even with an el cheapo onboard card, I got measurements and symmetrical waveforms, even if they were nearly unusable due to limited LF S/N. Your jig looks OK, but it has been a while. How about an impedance measurement picture, including FFT's (the measurement.in.l and r, especially)

http://mysite.verizon.net/tammie_eric/audio/SW/level_set/level_set.html ;) note his comments about clipping...

Praxis has a demo that measures T/S - see if you can get that to work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.