One inch waveguide/horn - which one?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The tractrix horn with it's 1000 HZ flare will not load much below around 1800 HZ, it's dispersion is 60 degrees. You will need the 400 flare horn they sell if you want to go down that low

The 18 Sound horn is a much better choice. They sound quite good and will load much better then the 1000 HZ flare horn in the 1200-2K range.

I thought the flare rate was the frequenzy where the horn stopped loading.. What is good about tractrix horns and what is not? How important is constant coverage as long as the crossover frequenzy matches dispersion with the woofer?

I think I will avoid DDS after reading about several bad experiences concerning production quality lately.

Defo said:
I thought the flare rate was the frequenzy where the horn stopped loading.. What is good about tractrix horns and what is not? How important is constant coverage as long as the crossover frequenzy matches dispersion with the woofer?

I think I will avoid DDS after reading about several bad experiences concerning production quality lately.

It's the rate of expansion. Tractrix horns with compression drivers typically load well to a little under double the flare rate. Cone drivers sometimes can be used straight down to the flare rate in the midrange but require careful loading in the back chamber to get there.

I have seen claims of constant coverage horns but have never seen one work at a constant level. They all fall off off axis. The old multicells even do.

Tractrix horns are supposed to throw a spherical wave front. They tend to beam a bit but are most often noted for their lack of coloration and pin-point imaging.

A CD horn will have a bigger sweet spot but you will hear more of the room reflections. Pick your poison.

Defo said:
Looking for a waveguide/ horn for an one inch driver crossed at 1200hz to a 12 inch woofer. These two has caught my attension:

18sound XT1086

Stereo-Lab 1000hz

Do anyone know the dispersion of the latter?

Which one would YOU choose? :)

The measurements on the XT1086 are very nice. See the "horn vs waveguide" thread.

The XT1086 has a nasty diffraction device in the throat. I think that I would file it down if I were going to use it. That will make it symmetric. (It's smooth on the Y axis, but there's a "step" in the X axis.)

Re: Re: One inch waveguide/horn - which one?

Patrick Bateman said:

The measurements on the XT1086 are very nice. See the "horn vs waveguide" thread.

The XT1086 has a nasty diffraction device in the throat. I think that I would file it down if I were going to use it. That will make it symmetric. (It's smooth on the Y axis, but there's a "step" in the X axis.)

I have a pair and don't see a "nasty diffraction" device in the throat. They sound great and have a nice smooth perfectly cast thoat.

Why would you mangle a well engineered, great sounding horn? HOM? These sound better to me without the foam.

I don't think filing it will make it symmetric either.

1200 Hz is a little to low, even with a steep filter.

At a very low cost, this waveguide can be used as a threaded insert-type OR modified for non-threaded insert:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=270-312

It will get you to 1400 Hz (with a steep filter), which is pretty low. Pattern control down to this freq. is still viable and it's major diffraction signature "peeks" almost an octave lower.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90804&perpage=25&pagenumber=5

Come to think about it, the 18sound waveguide has 80 degrees horisontal dispersion, which means I will cross a bit higher to match dispersion to the woofer.

Do anyone know the 80 degree beaming frequenzy of a 12" inch woofer? In this case an Acoustic Elegance TD12.

Defo said:
Come to think about it, the 18sound waveguide has 80 degrees horisontal dispersion, which means I will cross a bit higher to match dispersion to the woofer.

Do anyone know the 80 degree beaming frequenzy of a 12" inch woofer? In this case an Acoustic Elegance TD12.

Assuming an SD of 500, the woofer will begin to beam at 1389hz.

Here's the math:

(speed of sound/(((SD)/pi)^0.5)*2)
(13800inches/sec/(((500/6.45)/3.14159)^0.5)*2)
=1389hz

The shorthand way is to just take the speed of sound and divide it by the woofer's diameter.

Also, things like phase plugs and the woofer's inductance will affect this. Best idea is to do your own measurements.

Defo said:

I will be crossing my TD12M over at 1300Hz once I figure out what Waveguide to use. I have many on order.

Its the TD12M you want, not the TD12S or the TD12X. The TD12M has the smoothest response up to 2K.

TrueSound said:
The tractrix horn with it's 1000 HZ flare will not load much below around 1800 HZ, it's dispersion is 60 degrees. You will need the 400 flare horn they sell if you want to go down that low

The 18 Sound horn is a much better choice. They sound quite good and will load much better then the 1000 HZ flare horn in the 1200-2K range.

What happens if you cross over bellow 1800hz, or lower for thats sake? What about Azura Le-Cleach horns?

BHTX said:
Above those, I'd also consider the DDS ENG 1-90 Pro, if you can get it. Its limitations are directivity down to around 1.4-1.5 KHz and loading down to 800 Hz, but it's 90 degrees conical without any sort of diffraction device, and supposedly sounds very good. I've seen people very happy with it with B&C DE250 and BMS drivers. http://www.ddshorns.com/catalog.php?page=ENG190Pro

Has anyone bought any of these lately?

I'm interested in 4, but John at AE speakers bought some a while ago and posted pics that were really off putting, especially as I'd have to import them.

Any feedback guys to make me feel more confident?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.