JVC line array - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2009, 04:15 PM   #1
nebojsa is offline nebojsa  United States
diyAudio Member

Default JVC line array

Is it possible to make a line array ob with jvc buyout speaker 3X5(269-482) from Parts Express? Are there any disadvantages to the shape of such speaker when used in line array configuration? They are quite cheap, worth trying? Thanks guys.
Old 3rd June 2009, 02:27 AM   #2
BHTX is offline BHTX  United States
diyAudio Member

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=269-482
Old 3rd June 2009, 03:24 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

google 'comb filtering'
Old 3rd June 2009, 03:40 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yup, don't do it................

Now you may be able to run 4 edge to edge, but I'd prefer 3.

Actually, If you have a 10 band equalizer, you may be able to eq the highs back in, not the best but here are some similar projects and their results using much better drivers.

http://www.partsexpress.com/projects.../Kuze3201.html

http://www.ids25.com/

Look closely at the pre and post eq graphs of the kuze array.........
Very hashy and weird in the high end.

remember, those 3"x5" drivers probably have horrible frequency response.............. horrible............ A bunch of junky drivers don't sound like an awesome driver, but a bunch of good drivers can sound like a very good driver.

Norman
Old 3rd June 2009, 03:45 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Maybe worth buying one at least to see if they sound any good.

you could stack them so that there is only 3inches between each driver. A focused (curved) array would be interesting. There are many advantages (power handling dynamic range) to using multiple drivers and many disadvantages (comb filtering size).

have you seen this:
http://www.parts-express.com/project...oject=Kuze3201

check the frequency response

have you thought of putting a tweeter in the middle with a ring of drivers around?

Regards Philip

hey norman we were thinking the same thing at the same time.... synchronicity!
Old 3rd June 2009, 04:59 AM   #6
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

It probably would be a good idea to listen to one or a pair of those drivers before committing to a major purchase. That oval shape can actually achieve better sound than round drivers, everything else being equal.

One real benefit of an array is that there are good sounding drivers out there that may not or don't have real high power handling. As the duties are divided up between all the drivers, it's possible to get excellent power handling and SPL's with each individual driver able to work within it's limitations and remain absolutely linear.

Expensive drivers, BTW, don't necessarily sound better although you can expect better tolerances, and increased power handling. For an array, this is often overkill, being not only more expensive but rendering little, if any, additional benefits.

At the price, assuming that they sound ok to start with, you can go whole hog on a "Budget High-End" speaker system.

A few suggestions:

1. Use either 4, 8, 16, or 32 drivers per side (how high is your ceiling?) as it makes it easier to wire for a nominal 4 or 8 ohms. If you intend on a conventional (flat baffle) array it really is better to have your array go from the floor to the ceiling to insure a truly cylindrical wave front, as anything short of that (power tapering, etc.) actually compromises the design and the physics involved in this are to be trusted.

2. If you use these drivers, stack them fairly tight with them laying horizontally as the CTC distance between drivers will be better and the frequency of the onset of comb filtering will be
quite a bit higher.

3. If you usually listen alone, or with just you and a friend or your wife, I would suggest seriously considering a focused array as was suggested above. A very elegant, yet simple solution.

5. If those drivers actually go to 16 kHz, and your hearing is average (depending on age) you may not need tweeters at all. I'm sure that the drivers have *some* output above that 16k and not having to use tweeters simplifies matters considerably.

Good luck on your project and remember that this supposed to be fun, so don't allow yourself to get *too* serious about this.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 3rd June 2009, 11:24 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Terrry,
Can you post links to your speakers ?

The old links to post #12 don't seem to work aymore.

You used 1/2" mdf ? Looks like 2 pieces for the front baffle.

What is the focus point, 8' ? 10' ?

How long ? How much bow ? Any baffle step ?

I think I just ordered 38 two inch drivers.................
lol.....................

their sealed f3 is near 185hz............ perfect for me.

The Tang Band w2-803sm has f3 sealed qtc .707 of 282hz.
The Tang Band w2-800sl had a good review in Japan but the qts of .23 make for a seled qtc .707 f3 of 492hz...............

Norman
Old 4th June 2009, 12:10 AM   #8
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by norman bates
Terrry,
Can you post links to your speakers ?
Norrrrman,
Here's a site provided by friend Chad Kirby:
http://speakers.sub-optimal.net/thumbnails.php?album=16

Quote:
You used 1/2" mdf ? Looks like 2 pieces for the front baffle.
All the sides are one piece of MDF. You're memory is correct, they are 1/2 inch.

Quote:
What is the focus point, 8' ? 10' ?
I actually used a 10.5 foot radius for the curvature. In my house I sit approximately 8 feet back from the plane of the speakers. This gives about 7-8 inches for my ears within the "Cone of Sound."

Quote:
How long ? How much bow ? Any baffle step ?
Those cabinets are about 37 inches tall. Bow? As above, it's an arc with about a 10.5 foot radius. No baffle step or any filter.

Quote:
I think I just ordered 38 two inch drivers.................
lol.....................

their sealed f3 is near 185hz............ perfect for me.

The Tang Band w2-803sm has f3 sealed qtc .707 of 282hz.
The Tang Band w2-800sl had a good review in Japan but the qts of .23 make for a seled qtc .707 f3 of 492hz...............
I like to stay below 300-350 if possible, in order to cross over to a bass module as low as possible, to stay clear of Bell Labs "vocal range."

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 4th June 2009, 01:35 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Ah, thanks.....................

the uplake link works well...

Thanks for the answers, I remember you recommending placing the focus behind you. With my dual 4" (5" frame) I'm still experimenting with pennies under the front to get the ears exactly between the 2 drivers at 12'. When I hunched a little, it sounded better, so I started adding pennies. The highest detail started coming in...................

So for a 12' listening distance aim for 14' or so, got it.

I think I asked this before, there is not an impresion of a " tall " sound right ?

I've had mucho luck with the same f3 sealed in the same width box using the loudness button alongside of an 80hz f-mod woofers. Adds a nice hump down low, the way I like it.
Old 5th June 2009, 11:39 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default terryO ?

bump

Hide this!Advertise here!