Getting started speaker building.. Hoping for some direction. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2009, 04:07 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Getting started speaker building.. Hoping for some direction.

So i'd like to build replacements for my itty bitty sony left right and center channel, something floorstanding and much larger than what i have.. I would like to make a nice well rounded speaker that sounds good (it doesn't need to be zillion dollar audiophile quality but i would like it to be good).

i've been working on what i'd like them to look like asthetically. I'd like them to match my mostly danish modern livingroom.

I just don't know anything about the volume calculations, baffling, the puffy filling, driver selection or crossovers. If anyone can point me in the right direction so i could read read read i would be forever in your debt..

thanks.

and by the way.. that have you searched thing is really annoying.
Old 25th May 2009, 05:58 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Crossover Design

The basics: http://sound.westhost.com/lr-passive.htm
Old 25th May 2009, 07:00 AM   #4
BERENO is offline BERENO  United States
diyAudio Member

Well if this is your first project, I dont know how much I would recommend trying to design and piece your own speaker together. I would probably go with a tried and tested design. Zaph's page is a great start if you want to either get some ideas, or to copy one of his designs...

Also I would argue that a smart idea is to set a budget! (honestly) and then go from there, because it can quickly spiral out of control if you do not do this, or at least conscious of it. This is where the "might as wells" come in and before you know it, you have spent a bit more than you would have liked to haha.

Also do you want to just replace the L&R speakers? what about the source unit? Have you thought about a LF speaker as well? Either way, best of luck to you!
Old 25th May 2009, 07:40 AM   #5
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Another vote for using a proven design. There's enough challenge in building a good-looking cabinet and wiring up a neat crossover. Madisound and Zalytron are a couple of sources to investigate.
Old 25th May 2009, 08:46 AM   #6
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Getting started speaker building.. Hoping for some direction.

Quote:
Originally posted by mrnagrom
If anyone can point me in the right direction so i could read read read i would be forever in your debt..
So, are you undertaking to learn everything about designing your own speaker? If this is a learning exercise, note that it will take a while to learn all the things you need to know to make it great. And if this is your approach, I would not worry too much about the
cautions of building a proven design (but there are conditions). No disrespect intended to those who gave this advice.

This is what I would do, then:

(1) Start a thread here about building this loudspeaker.
(2) List your goals; state the environmental conditions (acoustics/furnishings, room size, application, musical taste and listening habits, etc.). And budget.
(3) Ask advice about driver selection and enclosure design
(4) Design the enclosure; get it reviewed here.
(5) Buy the drivers, build the enclosure.
(6) In the meantime, learn about crossover design and measurement tools.

If you have a good basic system (drivers and enclosure) then you can tweak the crossover until you get it right. Help will never be far away. You could probably even find a DIYer with a measurement rig in your area if you can't invest in one.

Of course, it all depends on whether this is your chosen approach...

good luck.
Old 25th May 2009, 05:07 PM   #7
BERENO is offline BERENO  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Getting started speaker building.. Hoping for some direction.

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaun

No disrespect intended to those who gave this advice.

No disrespect taken I actually agree with you that he should do exactly what you have said IF this is his intended approach... Its a daunting task, that will take a lot of time and resources, and if he wants it to be a learning experience, then he should definitely do as you say. Either way, I am sure that he will end up with a good experience as a DIYer

Hide this!Advertise here!