Building a room from scratch - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2009, 12:45 AM   #1
Banned

Default Building a room from scratch

Its interesting there is no section titled room acoustics on this forum. That is the most important aspect in my opinion when it comes to high fidelity sound reproduction.

I would like to settle this issue of room acoustics once and for all.
So I am considering building a room from scratch.

The main question is what size and shape should it be?

The problem with my current room is that its not symmetrical so the imaging is not either but more significantly its not of the correct dimensions which means I get horrible harmonics all over the place. Its mainly the lower end of the spectrum and of course it all depends on what recording is being played back. At any rate, I dont believe that I can fix this problem. Every possible position in the room causes some harmonics within some range of frequencies.

thanks.
Old 24th May 2009, 01:28 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Might be cheaper to buy an old barn or church.
How about the classic golden ratio to start with? but make the ceiling an asymmetrical cathedral ceiling and make the room non-rectangular by making one end slightly wider and taller than the other, then put in bass traps in the corners and diffusers on the walls and ceilings.

I would have thought that not being symmetrical would be an advantage, unless you meant that it was "L" shaped which is terrible.

I assume you have reasonable funds, so heavy; massive wall construction and low transmissiveness would be my priorities, and make sure that the internal noise floor was as low as possible, sound does not escape and external sound does not come in.

Windows triple paned in 12mm glass and air-locked double doors at least 100mm thick.

You know -- just your normal above average recording studio.
Old 24th May 2009, 01:33 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The AES did a lot of work and, for a rectangular room, the golden ratio was choosen.

In a presentation i attended at an AES convention the fellow suggested that sloping the roof in 2 axis would automatically fixget you a significant portion of the ay to a really good room.

My room has a large slopw in 1 axis and it is a very good room.

dave
Old 24th May 2009, 02:00 AM   #4
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Building a room from scratch

Quote:
Originally posted by Professor smith
Its interesting there is no section titled room acoustics on this forum. That is the most important aspect in my opinion when it comes to high fidelity sound reproduction.
Agreed. The best room I did was an LEDE recording studio clone that was a 'room' within a room with the inner walls, ceiling expanding and acting as bass dampers with the back wall peaked as outlined in Don and Carolyn Davis's SOUND SYSTEM ENGINEERING.

With hotrodded Altec A7s further customized with sealed sub-woofers in the bottom half and flush built into the front corners it was right impressive.

Anyway, Art Ludwig got pretty serious into his room design as part of the system some years ago and a 'must read' IMO: http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/

GM
Old 24th May 2009, 02:42 AM   #5
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Ditto! If a new forum gets added, room acoustics gets my vote.

It's such an important part of the system.

Pick up a copy of the 'Master Handbook of Acoustics" by F. Alton Everest. My wife gave me a copy for Christmas. Lots of good info in the book. Enough to confuse you completely. :P
Old 24th May 2009, 04:47 AM   #6
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Photos of the scantily clad one and subsequent posts removed.
Old 24th May 2009, 05:28 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Having determined the requirements next is deciding on the ideal dimensions, you can always use the old rule of thumb that the long dimension should be one wavelength of the desired bass frequency or about 10/15 meters long axis
Old 24th May 2009, 05:49 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Here's an interesting treatment for a listening room!
After you've finished laughing, apply to all four (4) corners of the room and enjoy!

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...07#post1833507

Cheers,

Alex
Old 24th May 2009, 08:23 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I build myself a LEDE room 12 years ago with a little design help from Lars Tofastrud at Francis Manzella Design Ltd. Its the most important part of my system, and the best investment in audio quality I've ever made.

My room is 7x5x3 meters, rectangular shape with sloped ceiling. I have a short article about it here:
http://memweb.newsguy.com/~stigerik/...ning_room.html
Old 24th May 2009, 11:12 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex from Oz
After you've finished laughing
That will take a long time.

If anyone offers you Kool Aid, be sure to enabl the rim of the cup to ameliorate the effects of this Universe.

Hide this!Advertise here!