Bathurst GTG and /or possible DIY 'showoff' in australia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
maybe it was a mistake to conflate the two in the one thread, but in any case it was good as we seem to be getting interest about some sort of dedicated diy thing happening.

re october and bathurst, yeah it's getting to be a bit of a tradition, and as said is kinda centred around the guys on the local stereo forum, but also as I said a warm welcome is extended to any diyers here (so more of a stereo social gtg rather than dedicated diy thing)

Having said that, and whilst I remember, it could very well be a good idea if there was at least another system here as well! That would simply be set up in another room, 'saves' forcing guys who want to hear music being tied down to one system, and adds a bit of interest. also, it would enable those who wanted to listen to jazz saxamophone fopr example the opportunity to hear it on the other system. I have set the defaults on mine to bring up an error message when it detects jazz and jazz saxamophone 'Input is total crap, executive decision made to trash the cd if not taken out in under three seconds...one...two..'

The reason I 'offered' my place, at least to get any dit thing off the ground and happening, is that it costs basically nothing to do. I have heaps of space and beds available that offset those costs..eg right here and now with hardly any effort we can sleep prob fifteen people, a bit of fiddling a few more etc etc.

Anyone who wants to pitch a tent and make it a bit of a camping holiday certainly can, you have sixteen acres to choose from.

If for some reason a LOT wanted to come for a diy event, then all we have to do is hire out the adjoining property and split the cost evenly between those there and those here

http://www.newhavenparkhouse.com.au/site/location

(threw that link in, have a look, as you can actually see our house in the picture, the big house beyond the trees dead centre of the picture. Hmm, seems they took a picture of our house to 'add value' to their place...maybe we should get a discount???heh heh)

if we hired that place, it would be because of the numbers coming, so it also adds many more suitable spaces to set systems up in, ie hold it over two locations seperated by 500 m

BUT, in no way was it some sort of 'centre of attention' thing, am more than happy to travel to where the majority votes if you follow.

Brett, for sure we can throw the deqx on yours if you bring it out, but don't let that stop you giving me a holler and I can bring it down and spend a weekend with you at your place.

The 'only' problem I see with easter (here) if there are many is that it is highly possible the accomodation would be pre booked ( a guess on my part. But for example, I would also guess it is booked out years ahead for the race weekend)

In many cases it could even be better if NOT on a long weekend?? It is not too hard for most to get an extra day or two off each side of a weekend, esp if planned ahead, so we could have our own long weekend, but without the horrible traffic conditions that inevitably accompany long weekends, 'great we are going away on the long weekend, and spend half of it in traffic. how fun!'

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Well said Terry, Personally I love the idea of a dedicated DIY event, but also love a BBQ and party bash with the "Boys"

I'll be happy rolled up in my swag

I have a cheap "Party System" basically a Quad bass box ans a couple of cheap Tandy 10inchers in tall heavy boxes, if I put em on a trailer and bring them up I would not be too distressed if they were a bit worse or wear after the W/E, and if it was noise you wanted not "Hi-Fi" this system would probably suffice to cover a couple of acres.

The main reason I suggested Easter was the 4 day break most of us get, why don't we wait and see what Zero One comes up with in regards to the Conservatory of Music??

terry j said:
Having said that, and whilst I remember, it could very well be a good idea if there was at least another system here as well! That would simply be set up in another room, 'saves' forcing guys who want to hear music being tied down to one system, and adds a bit of interest.
That's one of the reasons I'd like to bring it up. The other is, it forces a completion date.

terry j said:
also, it would enable those who wanted to listen to jazz saxamophone fopr example the opportunity to hear it on the other system. I have set the defaults on mine to bring up an error message when it detects jazz and jazz saxamophone 'Input is total crap, executive decision made to trash the cd if not taken out in under three seconds...one...two..'
So Jack's not coming then?

terry j said:
Brett, for sure we can throw the deqx on yours if you bring it out, but don't let that stop you giving me a holler and I can bring it down and spend a weekend with you at your place.
A quick test at your place, plus a w/e here at your convenience would be great. You're always welcome.

Brett, spoke to jack today, he's looking forward to it. I'll just have to pre-vet his selections, knowing the bugger he'd deliberately bring that 'oh so precious' jazz stuff (hmm, the great aussie noun is interpreted as a naughty verb)

(dunno if this is confidential, hope it is!!:D ) andrew is aiming to have his R 3s going in time. He can have the other big front room or even the girls lounge room, so yeah if you get yours done then good idea, bring 'em out.

that would be excellent actually, would really fit in with my 'concept' of being exposed to 'other stuff', I mean who's heard unity horns before??

So be like me, set yourself the date and go for it.

Moondog, dunno if we need a set of party gear, it's still pretty cold at nights and no-one really feels the urge to go outside for an external 'gig' if you follow.

I'm cool on wherever the diy thing ends up, I mean goulburn is just up the road from me. If it's held there, I presume the accomodation and venue are two different places? And being easter, finding accomodation might be problematic.

Still, esp for the first one, it depends on numbers. If they are lowish, then it can be 'free' here and all in one place, If it expands then we can look at other options.

I have decided to be fair to any guests, who am I to say what they can play or not play music-wise?

So, being the gentleman I am, please feel free to bring as much vinyl jazz as you wish. Sorry for my earlier outburst ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.