First dedicated HT sub, clamshell isobaric, ported

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I finally got around to fabbing up a temporary version of a dedicated HT sub this past weekend. Despite it's ungainly appearance it performs pretty well. I used an old 2.5ft^3 box that used to reside in the back of my RX-7 housing two twelves. Since I was testing a clamshell design I had to seal off one of the old 12" cutouts with a piece of plywood cut to size. Wiring is parallel, out of phase. Technically winisd calls for a 3.66ft^3 for optimum low end response from the Jl Audio 12W 0's, but the frequency response difference is negligible.

This was my first experiment with isobaric or compound woofer configurations and I'm very happy with the results. I don't own an SPL meter just yet but I do own several test cd's, one of which has 0db test tones from 10 to 98hz. By the ear I would call response very flat. I'm impressed with the effect of low 20's hz in my living room. Quite a kick.

I don't often hear of people using these configurations for HT subs. I guess others just have more space than I do.

frequency response

Attachments

• jl iso port 22.jpg
    jl iso port 22.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 241
Unfortunately no digital camera yet. I have to wait until film is developed. Picture a combination of blue and black automotive carpeting mixed with raw plywood and the basket of one speaker protruding into the room. Handsome. There's a ton of sawdust stuck in the carpeting for good measure. I'll post pics as soon as I have them developed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.