Question About Sealed Enclosures

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Im fairly new to this so please go easy on me!

I have found some 5.5" drive units i would like to use in a loudspeaker. I am currently designing the speaker cabinet. The spec of the drive units says it needs an 11 litre sealed cabinet for optimum proformance. My question is, if i want to use 2 of these drive units in the same speaker, would i need to double the enclosure size to 22 litres, or would one 11 litre enclosure be sufficent for both drive units?

Thanks in advance!

M

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Just double the volume for 2 drivers, but the bigger box may have more flex so will probably need a little more attention to bracing, so don't forget to subtract the volume of the bracing.
I generally just use a nominal 10 percent as the bracing volume and add that to the box volume first.

so 11 * 2 + 10% = 24.2litres. Just call it 25 and it is close enough as the drivers themselves need to be accounted for.

Many thanks for your responses, it helps a great deal talking to people with experiance.

Just so i can confirm, i am thinking about using two of these bass/mid drivers in each loudspeaker:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/55-1205

With one of these tweeters in each loudspeaker:

http://cpc.farnell.com/_/dt-28n/neodymium-tweeter-100w-square/dp/LS01262

What cabinet type/size would you be tempted to use?

I'd like to add this is my first prodject and i know it won't be the best pair of speakers ever made, but hopefully it will give me a good bit of experiance for future prodjects

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
The short answer is that I would not use them as a mid-woofer, even in a 50 liter box; the performance is poor with nothing below 150 Hz and power handling is modeling poorly, X-max is exceeded below 120Hz with 2 watts in a 25 liter sealed box.
As a cheap midrange they look good though.
Even though the Vas is low at 11 liters the high "Q" will give a peaky performance in a small sealed box, look for a driver with a "Qts" of about 0.42/0.55

MIW245, look for a new mid-bass with qts around 0.35-0.4 fs is around 40-50 hz. can install with vented box likes my pic.

Attachments

• membo.jpg
    membo.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 167
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.