Nasty Room Resonances in New Listening Room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

A few months back, I had my system dialed in just about perfectly. Now I just moved into a new place and the bass sounds like crap. Some bass notes are strongly emphasized, while others you can hardly hear. I'm pretty sure the problem lies in the listening room, which is almost a cube. Actually, it's more like 14' X 13', with a 10' ceiling.

The speakers are 12" in a 3.6 cu in box, tuned to 29 Hz. They're 14" away from the back wall, and 8" off the floor.

Is there anything I can do??

~~~John~~~

After some experimenting, I tamed the bass problem. First I sat the boxes on chairs about 2 feet off the floor...that didn't work. Then I lengthened the port an extra 1.5" for a total of 10.5", that helped a little, but still the bass was way out of control on loud passages. Then I stuffed a softball sized ball of "Acousta Stuf" (PE) down each port and it seems to sound fine now.

I know I effectively raised the Fb, making more like a sealed box, but why is it when I raise the Fb by shortening the tube, it just sounds boomy??

John.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.