Opinions on Jamo - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2003, 04:37 PM   #1
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

Default Opinions on Jamo

Hi,

I have a pair of E470s made by Jamo as my main speakers. All MDF, just small HQ caps as the XO, cone midrange and tweeter (yuck!) and an 8" woofer. In spite of 'budget' construction these guys manage to sound pretty good and can play pretty loud.

I had a lot of problems with bass (the lack of any) when I first picked them up, but now after almost a year of running in they seem to have suddenly come alive. Lots of bass, a little issue at the top end but no major problems - better than dome tweeters sold in India.

I have now an opportunity to upgrade these guys to another model of Jamo. A botched repair job while the set is under warranty, leading to full reimbursement on the old pair, courtesy Jamo.

I was thinking of the E650/670 or the E850/870. Obviously I have my heart set on the top model (within my budget range, about USD 1000) the E 870, but if you guys think that Jamo is not worth it I will stick to the E650 or E670.

Links:

http://www.jamo.com/consumer/product...id=E+670&tab=1 about USD $800
http://www.jamo.com/consumer/product...id=E+650&tab=1 about USD $700
http://www.jamo.com/consumer/product...id=E+850&tab=1 about USD $800
http://www.jamo.com/consumer/product...id=E+870&tab=1 about USD $1000 this is where I wanna go, but the dealer here may be ripping me off he wants $1400 for 'em...

So, what are the votes?

1. Love the company, no matter what it costs, pick it up!!!
2. Yeah OK could do better but if you're getting full value for a year old speakers, go for it. Jamo's not that bad.
3. Ummm, don't know, I guess, maybe you'll get better stuff cheaper, just change the speakers and get the same model again - besides I don't know/think much of Jamo.
4. Jamo? Are you kidding me? You gotta be crazy. Just don't spend any more money than you have to.
Old 29th April 2003, 06:49 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Nudge, nudge - anybody home??
Old 29th April 2003, 07:10 AM   #3
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
do yo have to buy Jamo with th money they gave you?

B&W, Dynaudio, KEF, Definitive, Monotor Audio even Mordant Short might be better buys.

If I were you I'd get a pair of Quad 11 and build subs to go under them a side mounted 8" in a TL would be ideal.

If your budget streched further the Dynaudio 52s are a fanstaci buy at 32K. I can find out if the price still holds if you are interested. the 52 also can use a sub.

this way you can be DIY for the sub part and still have a decent 2way for the top.
Old 29th April 2003, 07:13 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have to buy Jamo. The upgrade offer is valid for Jamo. If they're really that bad I'll just go for a marginal upgrade now...

I'll check if I can persuade the guy to give me something else - he keeps only Definitive and space, apart from Jamo - Cinebels shop. The only multibrand shop in town.
Old 29th April 2003, 07:15 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I could also go in for a direct exchange - no upgrade, straight to the same model...
Navin is Jamo all that bad - I find them as good as any in their price range, at least I have compared Klipsch, JBL and Onkyo against these and they came off best in terms of bang to buck ratio...

In any case my budget is around 32K. 20K for the old ones, plus 32K - total of 53 K or so for the E870s. So please find out so I can then just go for exchange and then buy the Dynaudios...

Edit: The Dynaudios are three way bookshelves to about 50 Hz. The Jamos are 3-way floorstanders, dual woofers, down to 35 Hz. Really are the Dynaudios more sensible than the Jamos?
Old 29th April 2003, 07:42 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

just called priyesh. he is not in. audio is not his main business. beediis is. yes beedis - indian cigarettes for the rest of you.

at 50K you are looking at silver 8s (monitor audio)

jamo is not that bad only that i think they can be bettered in most cases. the D870 is not a bad system. It has a SEAS mid woofer.

remember Jamo comes from the land of Ekjard Skanning (Scan Speak, Dynaudio, etc...). Although they are located on a different island something must rub off :-)

The Danes are a wonderful people. I spent one my best summers there. They are very very accomodating of international cultures.

i think it is time to sit down and make a short list.

1. if you get teh jamos at 20K and buy the 52s at 32k what will you do to the jamos (rear channel?)

2. what does jamo offer at 50K. the E870 is not bad. I'd like to compare it to the silver 8s (or their replacements)

3. Definitive maks a bookshelf speaker for 30K. you could consider that. atleast listen to it. it has a 10" side mounted passive radiator. you could get that as i think it makes a great rar channel speaker (small and good bass for size) when you get bigger front channel speakers. also teh dealer might give you a break and all you gotta pay is 10K.

this jamo i like
http://www.jamo.com/consumer/product....php3?id=D+870

what does it cost?
Old 29th April 2003, 07:55 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

The D870 cost 1,89,000 and change. That's about $4000, I guess...

The E870 cost 53,000 and change (not sure, the guy first quoted 70K a pair, but let's see.)

These prices are off AVMax. Horrible reviews but I like that they have prices.

Defintive has some floorstanders with inbuilt subs and some other nice floorstanders in that range. I do NOT want bookshelves. Unless the StudioMonitors are called into play.

The Jamos cannot become rear speakers. They are full towers. They have to be front speakers. Oh, well, I have enough number of amps and more are on the way. So it can become a second system, maybe one for the living room...

The 52s aren't really for me an option. I don't like bookshelf speakers, I do not like that they are so small... I also want some flash value. I know for a fact Monitor Audio is not dealt with by Cinebels. My really only other choice is Definitive, if that.

If I see he can upgrade me to another brand, then nothing like it. I will go for a pair of Definitive Towers (without subwoofer - I do not like sub for music, specially in my 'quiet' moments).

If he cannot, I will go for the E670 or E650. Unfortunately I cannot audition as stocks are not readily available. I was actually expecting someone to have heard them or of them...

In short:

1. Floorstanders
2. 3 way (2.5 way is also acceptable)
3. Flash
4. Good sound - I don't much listen to Jazz or classical, but I like to have a system that is capable of handling the occasional Windham Hill record, but should be exciting to listen to for rock.
Old 29th April 2003, 08:07 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

flash? if you want an excting sound for rock then have you heard teh X series from jamo. they have visual flash and can rock.
Old 29th April 2003, 08:11 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

try
http://www.jamo.com/consumer/product....php3?id=X+570

for less budget
http://www.jamo.com/consumer/product....php3?id=X+550
Old 29th April 2003, 08:13 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

1. you dont like bookshelves
2. what about a 2 way with a sub below. you could get a nice 2way and build a active sub below it. that would make the system a tower
3. also eventually when you upgrade next the 2 ways could be used for surround channels. the subs could be used for the .1 channel.

just a thought.

Hide this!Advertise here!