Compact bookshelf design recommendation?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With EBP of 75, it's a Jack of all trades. In order to save space I'd opt for ported and gain a bit of bass that it does need. See, the reason that I suggested this drivers is because it's going in to computer based system. So I am assuming (may be incorrectly) that there are going to be movies, video games and lots of other stuff with punchy dynamic material. Well, all line of the Dayton reference drivers are simply best IMO for this kind of stuff(for the $$$). This driver is no exception. The drawback is that it needs power but there's plenty of power for cheap this days. I've been playing with RS100 ever since they came out and every time someone hears them, I end up selling a pair with the cabinets so don't beat it until you hear it. As far as the advantages, look at 3.5 mm Xmax and compare it to 0.4mm of Fostex.
I have NO commercial interest here nor I am trying to sell anything.
I am not a rep for Dayton or PA.

I built a few pairs of the Zaph Bargain mini's for my daughters to use with their computers. These would cost well below your $250 limit.
They also would not require a subwoofer but could benefit from one.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZBM4.html

They are being driven with Topping amplifiers (Tripath 2024). I must say that the sound quality is excellent, and not just for the price. They are very good in absolute terms. But they are inefficient and possibly not the best match for this low powered amplifier. Having said that, they still play loud enough for me to have to tell me daughters to turn them down on a regular basis. I can hear them on the other side of the house! So they should be just fine with a low powered amp when listened to by rational people as opposed to teenagers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.