The secret of building a good 2-way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Frank -- I recently got my hands on a pair of Snell Type EIIs with the Vifa M21WN coated paper/foam surround 8" woofer, Tonegen tweeter, and Vifa D19 rear tweeter. There is something absolutely magical about a paper 8"+1" 2-way with a large, mildly braced rectangular enclosure/baffle, don't hesitate to build what you have in mind.

IMO, it is one of the finest ways to really enjoy your music instead of worrying about what your system is made of. Salas, Snell, Audio Note, Devore Fidelity, Wilson Audio, Rogers and Harbeth (albeit with plastic instead of paper cones) and Troels Gravesen all seem to be in agreement about this configuration.

Last edited:
Nice. You tried the software suggestions and found a good L1 value?

No,

i went the easy road...

There once was a very nice diy speaker in the german Klang&Ton published.
(you can find it above in the thread)
A guy in a german loudspeaker forum did a more efficient version with a different tweeter (cat378) and better coils for the crossover.
This is the speaker i build.

link:

Klang+Ton-Forum • Thema anzeigen - CT 252

Last edited:
You did for the CA22RNY 2.2mH 10uF 1R 0.68mH low pass and then for the Morel you did 4.7Ω, 4.7μF, 0.47mH, 8.2μF high pass. Right?

YES, Salas you are right!

DCR of the 2,2mh and 0,68mh are 0,2ohms.(vs. 0,9ohm in the cheap trick)
Now i am playing a little with the 4,7ohm resistor to get my sound.

Attachments

• crossover.jpg
    crossover.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.