newbie on the impossible speaker quest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ready for a good laugh? well this is the right place.....

So I am looking for speakers to complete my ht room. Its not a very big room.... 13 by 11ft 11 being the width. I have 1 major restriction which I wont get into the details, My center speaker can only be 5 inches deep, 5.5 at the most. all other dimensions are fine ..... to be fair max dimensions would be say 48inches high by 5 deep by 40 inches wide.

Laughing yet ?

So I am looking for 3 identical LCR speakers. The L/R speakers have a depth issue too, but they can be 9 inches deep (oh boy!) All 3 LCR will need to mount on the wall or sit on shelves flush with the wall

Im sure you are thinking... there are plenty of "good" slim speakers for plasma displays and such. And I am not totally crazy, I have a great sub that I will cross over at 80hz. So I only need a good bass response down to ~70 +/- 2db or something... Im no expert at this stuff.

Sadly all the "slim" speakers I have heard are tiny 4 inch or less drivers that sound well .... tiny, they dont give the dynamics I am looking for. I have a front projector and a "big" screen, I want "big" sound.

Big sound in 5 inch depth ..... am I totally crazy, I thought to myself maybe I can build a speaker thats 5 inches deep with bigger drivers.... I know I can make the internal volume .... 48h and 40w I can still get some cubic footage

Of course I know nothing about building speakers. And imagine that, I cant find a kit or plans for a diy speaker thats 5 inches deep ... I guess I really am crazy.

Im kind of thinking of trying the JBL L series onwall speakers, they are 5 inches deep and have at least a 6 inch driver and are 3-ways... have not heard them (no dealers have them on display locally) that brings me to my last issue. My budget ... I would like to keep it under 200 per speaker.

Now you are really laughing !

So can it be done ? has it been done? has anyone ever needed it to be done ?? a commercial or DIY speaker 5 inches deep with "big" dynamic sound........

I have been stuck with crappy 3 inch driver HTIB speakers for months while I try to find a solution.

That is your laugh for the day,

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
MCM and Hi Vi combo. About 100 bucks each in drivers and XO, cabinets extra. 5 3/4" wide, 7" deep 48" high. Ported but needs a woofer for bottom end.

Attachments

• l or r ht.jpg
    l or r ht.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 263
there are some killer 6" line array drivers from 18 sound and rcf that will fill the room no prob. But you'll have to xo higher likely. Use a dome tweeter cuz it don't need a horn. Don't know if it'll blow your budget though

An ESL panel at 4 ft wide would sound amazing, might not even need a sub. There was a guy who built one in Europe on this forum 4 x 8 ft who said he got over 100 db at 20 kHz
And there like an inch thick

Were you looking for something premade or a DIY ?

I can go either way (premade or diy), now granted I have never built a DIY speaker, but I can cut wood, soldier parts and generally build things... I think I could manage to make something with a basic plan to follow.

I would go premade IF I could find something that did the job and was around my budget. Not finding such a product has led me to look into the DIY world.

Cal that looks to be close to what Im looking for, anymore details ? maybe a build thread or something.

Thanks for all the help so far I also like the looks of those PMS speakers, great documentation on everything, they look abit above my budget though hah, and I cant make sense of half the graphs he posted ;p My newbie-ness in DIY speakers is showing here :eek:

Thanks all!

The thing to bear in mind is that it's the internal volume which is most important, and you can change the dimensions of any design as long as you keep internal volume constant. (and you've got plenty of volume to play with).
There will need to be some tweaking of the crossover to deal with any change in the width of the front baffle, but that's not too hard to deal with... ask here when you get to that point...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.