Initial Experiments for Fun

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have bought a box of speaker drivers from some guy on ebay. I intend to build a number of speakers with them for fun, and to learn a bit about how different speakers sound.

Initially I have built some sealed units, but over the next few weeks and months, will try my hand at some alternative configurations. It is my intention to document them on my website here.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Philip.

Specs

The specs of the drivers I am using are as follows

Vas = 1.62
Qts = 0.52
Qes = 0.63
Fs = 89.98 Hz
Dia = 80 mm

That is all I know. I have 16 of them, so the idea is to build a range of small speakers. Possibly including using multiple drivers in some form of small sub.

I don't expect full HiFi quality, but to compare what the difference is between different enclosures.

Finally, I would like to build a set of speakers with with some decent drivers for my main system. Again, I don't intend to be too critical. They will just need to sound good to my ear, and hopefully impress my visitors. :D

Regards,
Philip

Joined 2004
Paid Member
After a couple of years' experimentation, I'm sure he'll come around to something like this.

Attachments

• linearray iso1.jpg
    linearray iso1.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 537
Tosh said:
Oh yeah? I LOVE the line array and point source woofer combo of my ESLs...

To quote Forrest Gump, "I'm not a smart man..." I was referring to your concept image where it looks like a single tweeter is used to take over from the array. And if I understand correctly, ESLs present a planar wave which is not identical to an array. It is also less of an impact on imaging if the transition from one mode to another is at the woofer XO as you describe with your ESLs. If I'm lost, it won't be the first time so feel free to point me in the right direction.

No need to get that extreme. Getting a bunch of inexpensive drivers to play with is close to DIY nirvana. Just be sure to source cheap tweeters in bulk as well and keep the lines as close together as possible for XO purposes. The site I got Dr. Griffin's Line Array White Paper from seems to be down for reconstruction but it's worth hunting down.

You could make a big plane source (sound comming from a large area) which would have a lot of projection (4 speaker x 4 speaker square).

Or, 2 speaker across by 4 speakers up might do well, make two and call it stereo.

Have you considered a 16.1 surround system??? :D

I have 3 similar drivers (Wharfedale Modus) which sound quite nice in a small ported enclosure.

It's all down to personal preferance, but here's an idea maybe worth investigating: Put two drivers in the rear speakers of a 5.1 set-up, one facing into the room, the other facing the other rear speaker - like this: http://www.richersounds.com/showcle...T-903I-BLK/Mordaunt+Short+903i+Avant+Blk.html

The idea is that, instead of the rear speaker being a point source, it sounds like it's all the way across your back, in place of a rear-centre.

Then, you have 12 drivers for front and centre. 2 for the centre (maybe add a tweeter) then 5 for each main speaker.

Just an idea.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.