Diffuser on NS-1000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just picked up a pair of these amazing speakers.

Yamaha_NS1000.jpg

They sound amazing the detail reveiled by these is unlike anything I have ever heard.

I was wondering does the diffuser on the mid and HF affect the sound quality in a negitive way? Yamaha say The ring is designed to function as a sound diffuser to improve sound dispersion and stereo imaging.

The dimensions of these "diffusors" look too small, compared to the reproduced wavelengths, to cause much dispersion except perhaps at the very upper operating frequencies of the drivers. Even there, I wouldn't think they would do very much in that regard, so I'm calling ******** on it.

I think they were put there to protect the rather delicate looking domes. Are those made of Beryllium??

Yes Beryllium on the mid and high, very detailed nothing is lost in the mix I can hear everything seprated clear as day but the amp and source need to be matched carefully or they can take your ears off.

I got this off wiki for the ns-2000 which uses the same 2 drivers

The ring is designed to function as a sound diffuser to improve sound dispersion and stereo imaging, but it also helps protect the dome. Some owners of the NS-1000 and NS-2000 have experimented with removing the wire net and diffuser to hear the difference.

I do not see why they need them for any protection given there is a wire grill there too.

phillfyspoon said:
The ring is designed to function as a sound diffuser to improve sound dispersion and stereo imaging, but it also helps protect the dome.

Those diffusers are made from very tough metal. I used to own a pair of NS-1000's that seem to have been hauled around quite a bit by the previous owner. The grilles were pushed in. Had it not been for the diffusers, the mids and tweets would have likely been smashed.

Congrats on your acquisition; it looks like they're in very nice condition.

The diffusers are a misnomer....

They provide a 'cushion' of air that helps tame resonance at the dome center (A similar structure was used successfully by Audax), and a vital part of the design.

The side benefit of them is that they reduce the directionality of the driver...

Have fun

Owen

Regardless of whether these rings do to aid either dispersion or resonance control, I would STRONGLY caution against trying to remove either these or the grille.
These diaphragms are extremely delicate. One wrong move and you will shatter the diaphragm. Take it from someone who knows about beryllium!
You have a great pair of speakers. Enjoy them

Andrew

They certainly are ruthless at revealing everything, I was going to save up for a pair of salk sound or ellis 1801 speakers which use a seas excel magnesium driver but now i might just keep these....

They are very fatiging though my ears can not handle very long before my head hurts but im sure my cheap home cinema reciever is the problem.

Anyone recommened what amp to partner with? I know alot say transistor amps sound very very harsh with these speakers and a tube amp is the way to go but arnt tube amps just dropping off and have higher distortion which is why they have a smooth sound?

I was looking at jolida amps which use EL34 tubes.

It's not so much that transistor amps don't work well with them: they are very revealing. For instance, you will quickly detect when a track has had too much compression applied; it is just not enjoyable. So, if the amplifier has a flaw you will hear it, too. I ran mine from Denon POA-6600 monoblocks (transistor amps) with no problem. Reportedly, some of Yamaha's own vintage a V-FET amps work well with the NS-1000's. It is both a blessing and a curse to have such resolving speakers, as you can gather. However, I have found that half the fun of owning these speakers is discovering these characteristics for oneself.

Recently acquired a pair of 1000m s and ran them with a Bewitch/Puresound A30 20w valve amp and they are extremly revealing as opposed to harsh, and that is comparing them to ATC 50a.
I liked them so much that i just bought a pair of 1000s and running them off an Audion Silver Knight 300b paralell single ended monoblocks and they seem much smoother, maybe there is a problem with these particular monoblocks as the output seems far less than the Puresound, but either way the sound is impressive especially considering how old they are!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.