Resistor before or after cap?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I managed to get hold of some old AR18s (2 way, 8" woofer 1-1/4" tweeter), re-foamed them and replaced the electrolytic cap with a polyprop, but they were rather forword sounding after fitting the new caps.
I downloaded some test tones and found there was a jump in volume at 2000hz (The crossover point, according to specs), so I experimented with series resistors before the tweeter and found 3.5ohm gave the flattest frequency response.

Question: I fitted the resistor after the polyprop cap because it was easiest, but wonder if it makes any difference before or after the cap?

The only thing I could find with google was an L-pad calculator. Would there be any benifit having a shunt resistor as well as the series resistor?

If it is a 6 dB filter, i. e. only capacitor, resistor and tweeter in series without parallel components, it makes no difference.

You must however be aware that fitting a simple resistor to that configuration will change the cross-over frequency.

An L-pad after the capacitor can change the roll-off slope and could probably help you with that peak, if it is produced by the resonant frequencies impedance peak. An-L-pad before the capacitor will maintain roll-off slope and cross-over frequency the same.

If the cross-over has other components, e. g. an inductor going from behind the capacitor to ground, it does matter, where you put the resistor. Although there is no general rule, which is best. It depends on the speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.