Flatter than flat. PHL 10" and Beyma 1,4"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm messing around with 1,4" drivers and I just built a box like this:

Foto0122.jpg

Freq50cm.gif

FreqAll50cm.gif

StepResp50cm.gif

Impulse50cm.gif

Measurements done at 2m hight and 50cm on-axis in our huge recording studio room, hence the great bass measurement.

I will use the loudspeaker for critical'n'loud and emotional monitoring in my recording studio.

Box is 80l tuned to around 30Hz. 10" woofer is PHL 3002. 1,4" driver is Beyma CP-755Ti and Horn TD-385. -3db @ 25Hz and -3db @ 21kHz.

DSP processor is Ground Sound DCN23. I can post the dsp settings if anyone wants to build it.

The sound is amazingly fast and "in yer face". Tight, deep and powerful bass. Stereo image is very accurate. Depth is amazing.
I was very sceptical to 1,4" horn drivers but they do deliver and very live like sound.

Pretty excellent graphs eh?

Rock on,
:yummy:

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Where is the reference axis vertically? Between drivers or on horn's centre? Any lateral off axis graphs to see? 22.5-45deg would be informative. How much the dsp pushes the 10 inch for bass aid? Yes it would be very informative to see the dsp curves and maybe an impulse graph. Nice looking btw.

My speakers configuration is similar to yours,
ie

10" alnico woofer
B&C De250 compression driver
RCF H100 horn

all housed in a 70l bass reflex cabinet

I was able to get fairly flat too, sounds very good as well, open and dynamic. A worthwhile exercise.

I am currently designing and building another system(open baffle), trying to make the sound better than above system.

Happy listening.

Salas,

Microphone is pointed exactly between the horn and woofer at 50cm distance.
I will measure off-axis respons as soon as I can.
There is no bass boost to get so low. The cab and port makes for the lowest freq's. I have only notched it flat.
You can see the impulse respons above.

Cheers,
L

Salas said:
Where is the reference axis vertically? Between drivers or on horn's centre? Any lateral off axis graphs to see? 22.5-45deg would be informative. How much the dsp pushes the 10 inch for bass aid? Yes it would be very informative to see the dsp curves and maybe an impulse graph. Nice looking btw.

panomaniac said:
A surpising rig! Amazing bass for a 10 like that.

Please do post your EQ - amazing that you got that flat with only notches. Nice work.

Thanks,

There's about 8 eq points and 1 hi-shelf boost on the driver @ 18k and about 8 eq points on the woofer only hi-shelf cut from 100Hz . Can't remember the rest of the eq though, have to check the program....

Lindell said:

DSP processor is Ground Sound DCN23.

The sound is amazingly fast and "in yer face". Tight, deep and powerful bass. Stereo image is very accurate. Depth is amazing.
I was very sceptical to 1,4" horn drivers but they do deliver and very live like sound.

Rock on,

yep, in my experience phl's will do that for you, fast and slam.

would love to learn more about your dsp unit as well..will do a google search.

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Re: Re: Flatter than flat. PHL 10" and Beyma 1,4"

BHTX said:

Step response is mangled. Woofer is severely lagging behind. ;)

Hi,

You mean it? To check it out You shouldn't look at the peaks but at the zero crossing. In this case it is where the individual curves of low/high just rise from the zero line. Judged by that the timing is excellent.

If You look at the peaks the woofer will almost ever seem to be late. Due to it' lower frequency limit the amplitude rises slower, thus prolongate the reach of the summit. That's intended.

btw: Measurements off axis were highly appreciated. Horizontal and vertical.

thank You

terry j said:

yep, in my experience phl's will do that for you, fast and slam.

would love to learn more about your dsp unit as well..will do a google search.
Hi Terry was having a chat with Leon @ Soundlabs about the
Ground Sounds they look very good .

http://groundsound.com/

Great project Lindell ,I must get my PHL's into a speaker cab .

Cheers

Lindell said:
I'm messing around with 1,4" drivers and I just built a box like this:

Measurements done at 2m hight and 50cm on-axis in our huge recording studio room, hence the great bass measurement.

Rock on,
Very nice design I want to try something like that or a three way front loaded.
I just started my MLS-measurements and discovered that there is any thing near flat.

I must say that I am now understanding more of the measuring technique, and know now with FFT screen length to choose how to get reliable results. So my first results can be improved.

So I have my doubt about the result??? Because it seems you made the perfect loudspeaker.:worship: We now all can stop building.

It can't be the woofer and the HF-driver is that perfect flat even at beyma spec. So unbelievable result.

What are the measuring conditions length FFT screen. 1/3 oct filter ? smoothing??

Or does the DSP the smoothing

attachment beyma 1.4 HF driver

Attachments

• cp755ti.jpg
    cp755ti.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,294
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member

Helmuth said:
Because it seems you made the perfect loudspeaker.

Yeah, and that's what worries me! :D To see that kind of FR from an 80Lbox, 10" woofer and horn, well..... I think we are all a bit surprised and amazed. There must be more to it than that - right?

I've had my eye on the DCN23 for some time, looks like a nice bit of kit. The driver software is a little pricey, but it's a cool tool. One "should" be able to do the same thing with other digital crossovers.

Still would love to see the EQ graph and some off axis stuff.

Cool project!

The perfect speaker?? Hahah.. I dunno....

There's no hokus pokus going on in those graphs. Just a good mdf box, L-R filters, time-aligned and equalized. I have only the simple freeware of the DCN23 crossover. I measure with a calibrated Clio system. So yes "panomaniac" you could get this resault with any other digital crossover. (only worse sound ;) )
I have 15 years of experience being a recording engineer so I know my freq's 'n' Q's... ;)

Our recording room is exceptionally great to measure in as well.

Helmuth: See pictures for smoothing, etc. The DSP doesn't do any "special smoothing" except equalizing. Which is a manual sort of "smoothing" though...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.