Quality of Passive Xover Parts - Audible?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My current passive xover uses decent quality caps, resistors, and coils. I made sure that I used very low DSR coils but did not go for the high end resistors and caps.

In my experience, the high end caps/resistors thang is questionable at best.

Has anyone done true blind testing of passive xover components?

Opinions?

Yeah no it doesn't really matter what we think. If you want to find out pick up a soldering iron and build a couple of simple networks and see what you think.

Just use a simple 2 way as you test case. As long as the cap values don't get large it won't cost all that much to try the boutique caps. Even with a 18db network you are only talking a max of 3 pairs of caps as long as there are no zobels.

Rob:)

I've auditioned quite a few on my project with Esotec mid and high with C-Quenze 18 low. The mid is not as critical as high, but still important. Humblehomemadehifi has some great info. If proper timber of orchestral instruments is important, then anything under $45, except ASC or Obbligatto is dreadful.

A whole lot depends on what you can hear, and the absolute quality of the drivers, the cabinet and the rest of the system including the room, and the source material...

For most folks the effects of xover components are less substantial than other factors in the signal chain.

For me personally, I have found that depending on the application it ranges between inaudible and very critical. Ymmv.

Trying and testing is one way to find out...

_-_-bear

Sure, this is a can of worms.

But let's agree to disagree and let folks speak from their own appreciation & experience.
- what components have you used that, to you, seemed detrimental ?
- what components have you used that, to you, seemed to really enhance performance ?
(pls provide rough price if possible).

Thanks a lot !

In my experience, the high end caps/resistors thang is questionable at best.

If all you plan to listen to are MP3s, XM radio and CD's you're probably right. If you are into hi rez digital or analog, you will notice some differences with high end xover components. It also makes some difference if the xover part is operating in band or out of band of a driver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.