Re: Advent Legacy II's? Tell me all you know...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Advent Legacy II's? Tell me all you know...

I found a piar of advent legacy II's and was looking for some info on them. So far my searching hasn't gotten me anywhere :-/

I have tested the tweets and crossovers and they seem to be working very well. The woofers, well, they don't(for obvious reasons). I looked at some factory replcement drivers for them, but they are a bit costly. I'm not looking into spending much $$$ to get this set up and working again. Any thoughts? What impedance are the drivers in these cabinets anyway? Thanks in advance. Here are some pics of the pair...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Are the woofers blown, or are the surrounds simply shot? And is one actually missing, or simply not in the photo? If the surrounds are shot, they are easy to replace. Plenty of companies offer them, and they are easy to install. They are often cheaper on Ebay, but either way will be cheaper than two new woofers.

Nat Eddy said:
Are the woofers blown, or are the surrounds simply shot? And is one actually missing, or simply not in the photo? If the surrounds are shot, they are easy to replace. Plenty of companies offer them, and they are easy to install. They are often cheaper on Ebay, but either way will be cheaper than two new woofers.

I only have one of the woofers. I actually have some extra foam surrounds laying around, but that doesn't do me any good in this case :/

I've been told they're 6 ohm drivers, which makes my search for a suitable replacement that much harder...

6 ohm driver? Nah, that shouldn't make things harder. Speaker manufacturers measure efficiency by 2.83 volts, and not so much by watts, so as long as you match efficiencies, you should be fine.

If you go with an 8-ohm woofer with the right efficiency, you will actually make the speaker easier to drive for an amp because it will draw less wattage.

Always remember that just replacing the foam surrounds has the potential af changing the sound of the speakers. Proceed with caution on this one.

One thing you can do is contact Madisound. You can send them the internal dimensions of the cabinets, and the size of the port (if any). They can recommend a replacement driver for your speakers. It may or may not be cheaper, but at least it's another option.

Cheers,
Zach

I'm curious why you say that replacing surrounds can change the sound of a driver. Certainly done poorly it will, or a different type of foam or shape of roll, but I would expect that once the foam has been broken in, there ought to be no more difference than you might expect from individual variations within tolerances.

Nappylady said:
6 ohm driver? Nah, that shouldn't make things harder. Speaker manufacturers measure efficiency by 2.83 volts, and not so much by watts, so as long as you match efficiencies, you should be fine.

If you go with an 8-ohm woofer with the right efficiency, you will actually make the speaker easier to drive for an amp because it will draw less wattage.

not exactly...
The problem will be in matching the driver to the crossover, which was designed for a certain impedance of speaker. You could end up shifting your crossover point.
On the other hand, if these speakers are made like a lot of other speakers from the same time period, chances are that they have the woofer running wide open with no crossover, and just have a cap on the tweeter. I wouldn't be surprised. In that case, you can match the efficiencies, but you will also have to look for a woofer with a similar acoustic rolloff, or adjust the tweeter crossover to match the new one.

nobody special said:
On the other hand, if these speakers are made like a lot of other speakers from the same time period, chances are that they have the woofer running wide open with no crossover, and just have a cap on the tweeter. I wouldn't be surprised. In that case, you can match the efficiencies, but you will also have to look for a woofer with a similar acoustic rolloff, or adjust the tweeter crossover to match the new one.

Yup. Thats exactly how they're set up. If I go with an 8 ohm driver, I'll have to get one with a higher efficiency to match the output of the tweeter which will be seeing more power. Only difficulty I'm having now is finding information about the crossover. I have no idea what frequency it is set at or what the roll off is like.

you may have very good luck by choosing a woofer that will work with the enclosure and that also has a fairly predictable rolloff, and then put an L-pad on the tweeter and try substituting different values of capictors on the tweeter. Tune it in by ear.
I have had success with this method.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.