Kit in Australia - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2009, 06:36 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Kit in Australia

As a young audio enthusiast I ofcourse want the best sound for the least amount of money (so I can spend the leftover on other audio equipment ).

Being a headphone man at heart I have recently crossed over to the darkside and become interested in building a small, but good sounding setup for monitoring.

The eventual pair would be used for doing a little bit of beginner audio mixing/production and general listening with various sources.

I've been eyeing of LSK M4s for a while but after contacting them they have suggested I go for the model up: M5 (great upselling) due to better sound and efficiency. And after scratching the surface of these forums I have found out the depth of the DIY community and that there are alot of other options out there.

I would like a kit because I'm still at school and don't really have much time/experience working with electronics and schematics and I don't have access to any means of fabrication.

With headphones a fair bit of consideration needed is for the music, I listen to music in the heavier end of the spectrum and appreciate good attack, speed and accuracy within the reproduction of the sound.

My budget is of course the bottleneck: I'm only looking to spend AU$400 on a kit (2 monitors). I'd love if I could go under that price and still come out with a decent pair of speakers.

After the decision is made I will then search for a nice diy amp board that I can build/mod to suit the speakers and my needs.

All replies/suggestions are much appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt
Old 2nd May 2009, 07:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

What about Zaph's Seas build:

http://zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker17.html

The seas drivers are available at audiophile.com.au and the components are not that hard to get (jaycar etc).
Old 2nd May 2009, 11:53 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

G'day Matt
try this set of articles and designs by Rabbitz and the forum community, I think there are still a few P13/D27s left at Speakerbits
although the cost is a little higher than you budget once you factor in good quality components.

http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.p...Vifa+P13%2FD27

http://www.speakerbits.com/products/.../list-150.aspx

http://www.speakerbits.com/products/.../list-148.aspx

There are a number of cost effective peerless bass-mid-woofers available

Regards Ted
Old 2nd May 2009, 04:17 PM   #4
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Matt

The LSK have advised you well as you are better off with the M5 over the M4. I haven't heard either but do have a friend who has the M4 and I used to have a design similar to the M5 so I know the difference would be huge.

It's going to be hard if you don't have the facilities to build a box but maybe a friend could build some (school project even) or someone on this forum who is local may have some left over boxes.

There is a kit that represents great value at Madisound in the USA and don't be turned off by that. Even with shipping it still could be less than A$200. You still need to build a box and supply wiring and terminals but the drivers and crossover would be very sound.
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=8525

As far as the little speaker goes in the Wiki.... it's a nice little speaker that does work well nearfield as well as in small to medium rooms. Since that was written, mine has had a few changes and would suggest the larger box option. My crossover values with the D27TG tweeter 3.3uF + 0.45mH + 5R6. There has been several tweeter changes with a Scan Speak S2905, a Vifa XT25TG (was not a good match... bleh), and next will be installing a SEAS 27TFF. One problem is the value of the A$ has forced the prices of drivers up by a considerable margin so the value factor has fallen.
http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.p...bitz+has+added

Another option is a fullrange speaker and I would suggest a CSS FR125SR from Darcher Audio in Tasmania. No crossover is required and these do sound very good when used within their limitations as they do not have high power handling but enough to give you a head ache.
http://darcheraudio.com.au/shop/inde...products_id=80

Ebay from time to time does have some great DIY speakers listed that usually nobody or only a few bid on as they are not a brand name. Some great bargains can be had for very nice speakers indeed. Just remember driver names like Vifa, Peerless, SEAS, Scan Speak.

Another option for an enclosure if you can't build a box is to use PVC pipe and fittings that can be picked up at hardware stores and plumbing supplies. The one in the pic is a little one I did for a TV/DVD thingy in a small room.... easy and cheap but the sound would not be suitable for your needs.... does give you an idea though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chr70.jpg (62.6 KB, 3256 views)
Old 2nd May 2009, 04:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Another way to think outside the box and mostly PVC pipe fittings which makes it cheap and easy.

As far as DIY amps go, a great place to start is a ChipAmp and would suggest a LM3875. Have a look at this thread and Peter Daniel's kits are first class. They can of course be built point to point or on a vero board and Altronics in Oz do have some amp kits.
Commercial Gainclone kit- building instructions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hydr.jpg (71.2 KB, 3181 views)
Old 4th May 2009, 04:06 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all replies!

Rabbitz, that RB kit looks perfect for me and with the dimensions for the box drawn up I'm sure I could sweet-talk one of my wood-tech teachers to knock a few boxes up for a price or a few beers!

Are they shielded? (Safe to use with laptop/tv)

The amp looks good and I've found great instructions for it too.

Cheers!
Old 4th May 2009, 06:52 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

You shouldn't need shielded drivers unless you are using a CRT (older type tube tellies and monitors). With LCD and Plasma screens there's no problem. A laptop should be no problem as well as long as you don't sit the speaker on top of it. I have unshielded speakers within 200mm of my iMac.
Old 5th May 2009, 03:15 AM   #8
kimbo is offline kimbo  Australia
diyAudio Member

Matt, just remember to tell who ever puts the boxes together that it's the internal volume that is important, not the outside dimensions (but you probably already knew that!)
Good luck!
Old 5th May 2009, 08:21 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
..internal volume..
Hi Kimbo, could you explain that a bit better.
Unfortunantly I don't know that already haha. First build so i'm not 100% up to speed but I love to learn all about it.

I just got a reply back from Madisound, it's looking like a US$66 shipping fee!

Hrmmm.

The pre-built tweeter is so appealing, the idea of only having to hook stuff up and building the enclosure is what I want.

I'll email them back and see what they can do. As well as adjusting my order.
Old 5th May 2009, 09:05 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Even with shipping it still only comes to about A$170 which is great value.... BTW, the 2 tweeters alone cost about $120 in Oz.

The mid woofer in that kit is very similar to that in the LSK M5 but the D25AG tweeter is miles better than the D19 in the M5.

What is meant by the internal volume is when the box is made you work to the internal dimensions and not the external dimensions as the design has been done to a set working volume (the air inside the box). If 18mm MDF is used then it's close enough to the imperial 3/4" material.

Hide this!Advertise here!