Revelator vs Excel magnesium

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Helo everyone, my Room is very smal and i have a diy vented speaker monitor with Scan Speak 18W paper/carbon. A have problems to control the bass, so I want to buil a 2 way monitor vented speaker about 10L to 15L with a smoller woofer.
I have Scan Speak 9300 tweeter and for the Woofer my choice is Scan Speak 15W/8530K00 or Seas Excel W15CY001.
I know magnesium driver have a break-up mode. No problem to control them with notch.
Someone know this 2 drivers?
Please give me your opinion.
Wich do you like best?
Can you help me?

Tanks

You have problems with bass modes so you are going to a smaller woofer to...reduce the bass? Is your ScanSpeak 18W speaker ported? Try stuffing the port (a sock will do, if nothing else).

If you insist on designing a new speaker around a smaller woofer, I really would choose a ScanSpeak 15W over the Seas. The lack of breakup in the ScanSpeak makes it very easy to design for. The Seas driver should be crossed rather low in frequency for it's size, around 2kHz if possible.

See measurements here.

Yes, i have bass modes.

My room is just 2,7m x3,7m.
I have build bass traps, and just reduce modes.
Reduce port help too.
Transform speaker to closed help a lot, but lack dinamic.

But i listen in my room ported speakers with smoller woofer (like SF concertino) with good control bass, fast, articulated and impact.

So i think i have enough bass with w15 woofer.

Thanks

Dcibel,
Jonh,
Bastek,
Tanks for your opinions.

I think both are very good drivers.
Revelator is a litle more expensive.

Its a dificult choice.
I ear SS Revelator in Xavian and i like it. But i dont ear Excel Magnesium.

Someone else Know this two drivers?

More opinions please

SS have sweet sounding,pleasureable,the low and mid low are deep,slightly thick in vocal ,a bit dark but enjoyable.
excel have transparant sound,very good clarity and detail,tight bass & mid low (not deep like SS).both of them are excellent driver

cheers

No problem to control them with notch.

hmm......the breakup mode is a mechanical thing, wheras the notch fillter is completely electrical......
the old Seas datasheets suggest that there is a good deal (but perhaps theoretically unhearable) level of third harmonic distortion at 1/3 the f of the breakup mode.....

I've listened to 18W magnesium Excels, and 15W revelators -- I prefer the SS revelators.

JJ

I've listened to two speakers at the same occasion which were reasonably well designed and flat on axis. One had 2x W15 and one had the Rev 5".

The Excel based speaker was cleaner, more musical and subjectively a better and more correct speaker.

So, +1 for Excel! :)

/Peter

If you want to tackle room modes (boomy I presume) with different woofer, well that would not help.

you need different approach such as 1) rebuilding the room to meet acoustical requirement or 2) use dipole speakers or 3) use multiple subs.

Forget damping/bass traps/room treatments. They are only effective when the thickness is 1/4 wavelength or so or about 3 m thick (!) for 30Hz.

gainphile said:
Forget damping/bass traps/room treatments. They are only effective when the thickness is 1/4 wavelength or so or about 3 m thick (!) for 30Hz.

No, no.. a reactive solution do not have to be 3m deep/thick/big. :)

Helmholtzabsorbers and membrane/panel absorbers can be very effective and someitmes built stealth-style or even into the structures of the room.

/Peter

carlomar said:
Tanks Gainphile
Tanks Peter

The best of two worls:
Rigt speaker Excel
Left speaker Revelator :) :) :)

haha... :) ,perhaps you should determine your taste first,if you like warm,thick and a bit dark sound,choose SS.
But if you like clear,detail,transparant sound,choose Seas

my opinion,if you are using SS 9300 tweeter ,probably it would match with SS midbass driver also

thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.