adding dome tweeters to altec horn combo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have a pair of altec theater cabinets that have a 16" woofer and a coaxially mounted horn. i forget the model number of my speakers at the moment but they were from the 80's. i guess modern day version of a VOT.

i recently acquired a big pile of raw drivers and in the pile are what look like a pair of raw b&w nautilus tweeters. i've been thinking of adding those to my altec cabs to give me a little sparkle where the horns leave off.

anybody done this? got a ballpark figure on where i should be crossing over at? the tweeters look like they may be silk domes, aprox 1.5" across.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Your drivers sound like the 600 series. Most likely a 604 or possibly a 605. I've not heard anyone using a helper tweeter with a coax but is often done with the larger, non-coax horns. The biggest advantage of a coax is the point sourcing of the sound. This will be lost if you add a tweeter outside the frame of the woofer.

Hopefully GM will pop in here and give you some advice. He's the man.

I would be more concerned about matching sensitivities. I would think that the domes would be inaudible next to anything Altec.

....sort of like a cat meowing next to my daughter screaming :)

...........not that I think of Altec as screaming, just very efficient, like my daughters vocal chords.

I'd go for a bullet or slot tweeter there if a tweet is needed, IMHO.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.