HT: scale 10" sub cabinet for 12" driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Sorry Brad, you can't just scale up horns, they have to be designed for the driver. Do a search for horns or horn loading to find loads of threads that deal with this.

BTW, that horn looks like it has a very small mouth for a sub- what is it's response like?

i am a little suspicious about the design. they are giving you the blueprints for 50 bucks but what's inside the box? do they give you some formulas for your VIFA speaker to calculate the exact volumes for the enclosures?

but you can give ashot and purchase the plans.

we are trying to scale the design down for a 5":clown: here in estonia for old russian speakers and then i can tell you about this universal WO :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
ksl said:
i'd like to hear some comments about this design also:scratch:

Well it is not a horn. It is a sealed box with front loading of the drivers (similar in concept to subs that have a closely placed baffle in front of the woofer. The pipe in front is going to have some nasty undamped resonances, but they may be high enuff that used as a sub they mostly get suppressed by a steep active XO. Personally i would be quite leary of this without hearing it -- and i suspect it is fairly driver sensitive so scaling it would be a big can of worms.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.