Isobaric loading question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

In a multi-way speaker enclosure with isobaric compound-pair bass drivers, is there a relationship between the distance between the two drivers in the sealed chamber and the crossover frequency to the mid/tweeter?

Something in the like of the crossover should be at a lower frequency than the half-wavelenght frequency determined by the distance between the two bass drivers sounds intuitive to me.

Any opinions on that?

Thanks!

IG

As the frequency of the sound approaches the distance between the two isobarik drivers, they will no longer be in phase, and will stop working as a pair. So yes, you will want to cross over before that happens. You want to keep the distance between the two drivers as small as possible anyway, to minimize the additional moving mass.

Mr Evil said:
As the frequency of the sound approaches the distance between the two isobarik drivers, they will no longer be in phase, and will stop working as a pair. So yes, you will want to cross over before that happens. You want to keep the distance between the two drivers as small as possible anyway, to minimize the additional moving mass.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Mr Evil, you understood my question best and confirmed what I thought, thanks!

IG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.