help me choose between 2 Troels Gravesen 3_way designs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’ve picked two completely different design concepts and would like to hear the pros and cons of each. Both are from Troels Gravesen the Danish designer. I don’t want to build exactly as he designed them; I just fell in love with the cabinet designs. I want to choose other drivers, recalculate the volumes and do my own crossover (I’m thinking of going active).

The first is the Ekta Grande a very sculptural narrow baffle design. The second is a very wide baffle design, the Poor Man’s Strad, it is a copy of the Sonus Faber Stradivarius ($40,000.00 / pr). They are both listed in the included link. He has pictures of a few examples across the top of the page and if you click on them they will take you to the design description. The Ekta Grande is second from the left and it will take you to a build description by Jesper Spohr who built Troels design. The Poor Man’s Strad is 4th from the left and it will take you to a picture of one made by Kari Koskela of Finland, which has a link to Troels’ build description.

You will see from Troels’ page he is a very prolific designer and he has enough creds, at least in Denmark, that he got SEAS to manufacture a driver to his design for the DTQWT, check it out. It’s a huge speaker, but if you want to build it as is you will need to buy a kit from Jantzen.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Loudspeaker_Projects.htm

I’ve selected a range of drivers I would like to choose from but, depending on how this thread goes, if anywhere, I’ll save them for another post. We’ll also need to talk about active crossovers.

I hope this stimulates some conversation!

JohnZ

My question is: What are the pros and cons of a speaker with a very wide curved baffle vs one with a very narrow baffle.

Everything's a compromise, so each is probably weak in one area and strong in others. I've never actually heard a wide baffle such as the Sonus Faber Stradivarius so - is it strong reproducing a symphony orcestra in a concert hall and maybe not so strong with a single vocalist? Which would be better in a home theater?

So, if my use will be 80% home theater and HDTV, with the other 20% divided among a wide range of musical genres which should I build? I know there is no definitive answer I was just hoping for a conversation with people who know more than I.

Thanks,

JohnZ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.