Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2009, 06:38 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Newbie Bass Reflex with Seas Drivers

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have for many years desired to build a pair of loudspeakers that would bring me enjoyment. Speakers that I could listen to for hours with pure admiration for their faithful reproduction of sound. Aside from a few minor, and I mean minor projects I have not attempted to do this. I have been an avid surfer on the net for projects and ideas that suit my desired speakers and having browsed this forum for more than a year and continual searching I have concluded I need some help, hence this post.

What I would like

I like Seas drivers. I have found a new Australian distributor that is selling them at a reasonable price (still expensive though) I am a fan of VAF speakers. http://www.vaf.com.au/detail.asp?aud...unt=s200r26719

Their i93 uses Seas drivers and is their flagship speaker. I would ideally like to replicate or build something very similar to this in both physical dimensions and driver configuration.

http://www.vaf.com.au/specifications...unt=s200r26719

I am looking for a proven plan or design that would best match the i93ís. I donít want to build a transmission line speaker yet, I want to stick with Bass Reflex for now.

For any help, thank you.

Cramdall5
Old 25th April 2009, 07:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yeah those i93's do sound pretty nice , would be quite expensive just to buy the drivers in AU.

A clone is possible if someone has the crossover details.

The cabinet drawings are available in Electronics Australia magazine Jan 2000 issue........

I reckon the drivers are T25-001 tweeter , W21Ex for bass and
W14CY for mids ????

Good Luck

Old 25th April 2009, 01:51 PM   #3
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Trying to clone a commercial design is usually a futile exercise which can end in tears and loss of $$$$.

Best to go to these sites which IMO are the best for DIY designs as I feel the designers are focussed on sound quality and not numbers. Shouldn't be too hard to find something that fits the bill. You've probably seen them before.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Lou...r_Projects.htm

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/

Another option is just to buy the VAF if you love the sound as an excellent DIY speaker is not exactly cheap and the sonics are unknown not to mention working well with the partnering equipment. I've yet to design and build a speaker that doesn't have to be tweaked to suit a system, room and application.
Old 25th April 2009, 08:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The cabinet drawings are available in Electronics Australia magazine Jan 2000 issue

Thanks for the direction. Any idea how to retrieve the article given they no longer produce the publication?

Cheers
Old 25th April 2009, 11:20 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your reply rabbitz,

I have seen those sites and they are great for inspiration but not quite what I am looking for. I don't necessarily want to replicate the I93 but I do want to build a three way speaker in a mmtmmw configuration, or a mmtmm and possibly use a sub.

My ideal cabinet size is 1500mmH X 300mmW X 500mmD. Or as close to it as possible. I am also inspired by the equinox audio gear. If I was going to replicate a speaker I would love to do the "Perigee"

http://www.equinoxaudio.com.au/produ...rs/perigee.php

I guess I am saying that I want a simple bass reflex design that uses multiple drivers and is housed in a large cabinet. I am yet to find a design or plan fir this in my internet travels. Any help is again greatly appreciated..
Old 29th April 2009, 03:03 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for a good, proven design 2 or 3 way speaker using seas drivers or similar high quality. Preferably with a large cabinet that's not to complicated.

Cheers
Old 30th April 2009, 01:04 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

http://www.zaphaudio.com/
Old 30th April 2009, 06:20 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

See also Post #3
Old 1st May 2009, 08:11 AM   #9
Norcad is offline Norcad  Norway
diyAudio Member

Some more inspiration:

Montana Speakers

I would suggest that you use the papercone Seas Prestige drivers, they are much easier to work with.

CA26RFX woofers, CA15RLY or MCA15RCY mids, and maybe 27TFFC or 27TBFC tweeter would be my choice as a newbee.
(I'm using CA26,MCA15 and 27TFFC in my own DIY-speakers)

Download Unibox to find the desired cabinet volum and BR.

Measuring equipment and some speaker software are needed if you want to build passive crossovers, and I can tell you that this isnt easy!

A shortcut could be active crossover and biamping, Behringer's DCX2496 could be a good choice. Measuring are still needed!

A threeway multidriver speaker is'nt the right place to start building speakers, but if you have can spend a couple of years on the subject it could be some very nice speakers!

Old 1st May 2009, 12:58 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

For a DIY forum, what a shame that common suggestions include 'copy someone elseís design' or 'go to the store and buy a commercial product'.

I agree that proven designs are a great way to get started. They can be fun, and very rewarding. Even more valuable than the cookie-cutter designs (in my opinion) are the lessons behind them. Some of the more notable DIY pages have great write-ups to go along with the designs.

With the advent of measurement software, and with all this study material available, your first design is within reach. I agree that it will likely be outperformed by the ready-made designs, and a lot of commercial stuff, but that's how you take learning to the next level. Put the doing back in DIY!

Hide this!Advertise here!