Intro and some recent ideas...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, my name is Joshua. (my user name was supposed to be JoshuaTechnomage, but I seem to have not pushed the "e" button when registering, lol. Yes, I'm a Babylon 5 fan.) Anyway, I've been studying speaker design since I was 17 (I'm 32). I'm extremely poor so I haven't been able to do much building, only a simple open baffle using a couple old school Alon (now Nolan) 5" paper mid run full range supplemented by a cheap sub for my parents. (very open sound, not really needing a tweeter so much, wish I could have built a proper woofer for it.) Also experimented with some cheap mid and tweeter domes and lightly modified some pioneer home theater speakers. I used to subscribe to Stereophile for many years and owned the Speaker Design Cookbook, played around with a lot of designs on paper and using freeware computer sim software, etc. Over the years I slowly gained more appreciation for open baffle full-range speakers as likely the overall best design for moderate sized living spaces at reasonable SPL.

I'm currently working on a design to build in the next year or two likely using the Visaton B200 w/phase plug and EnABLed (full-range unfiltered) with probably 2x Lambda TD12M D'Appolito and time-alligned (at least the best I can do without expensive measuring equipment) configuration. Equalized with a Behringer DEQ2496 Ultracurve Pro. I may experiment with a supertweeter coming in around 15khz. Maybe amped with a Transcendent Sound T16 OTL, but eventually bi-amped. I might start off with a cheaper T-amp/s to save money.

I was also thinking of some designs to eventually market and make money. More conventional designs that can take more physical and acoustic abuse. For example, something like a 3-way with 1st-order crossovers. Such as dual Dayton RS225 Aluminum woofers with the 2nd woofer rolled in for baffle step compensation in a bass-reflex enclosure and a subsonic filter below port resonance. A notch filter for the breakup, crossed over somewhere around 1khz - 1.5khz to a 2" Dayton RS52AN dome midrange (comes with hexagonal grid to protect the dome). The mid would be crossed over somewhere around 4khz to a Seas 27TBC/G aluminum tweeter (also comes with a hex grid).

Just some ideas to throw out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.