Corian young modulus ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
thanks, Pete :)

Property Typical Result Test
Tensile Strength 6,000 psi ASTM D 638

Tensile Modulus 1.5 x 10-6 psi ASTM D 638

Tensile Elongation 0.4% min. ASTM D 638

Flexural Strength 10,000 psi ASTM D 790

Flexural Modulus 1.2 x 10-6 psi ASTM D 790

Hardness >85 Rockwell “M”
Scale
ASTM D 785
56 Barcol Impressor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thus,

E= 1.5 x 10 -6 psi ? :confused: too "little".. where is my error?
I have issue also with conversion psi to GPa , oh my God! :bawling:

Cheers,
Paolo

Thanks Pete :) ,

Ouch! Only 9 GPa....:apathic:

I was hoping better....:bawling:

A friend of mine has this strange idea to make a cabinet of corian.
But I have to design it, of course ! :rolleyes:

The only consolation maybe can be the intrinsic damping, but I am not sure of it...:confused: Is it so good as "rumors"says ?

Cheers,
Paolo

inertial said:
Thanks Pete :) ,

Ouch! Only 9 GPa....:apathic:

I was hoping better....:bawling:

A friend of mine has this strange idea to make a cabinet of corian.
But I have to design it, of course ! :rolleyes:

The only consolation maybe can be the intrinsic damping, but I am not sure of it...:confused: Is it so good as "rumors"says ?

Cheers,
Paolo

Can't help you with mechanical properties but one builder of my NaO AEP system used Corian for the baffle and he claimed it was acoustically very dead.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

inertial said:
Oh thanks Dr. Krekowsky :) ,

For sure they are very beautiful, first!;)

Thus, based on the claim of your builder, is possible imagine that the damping be higher than MDF .... a good thing !:cool:

Cheers,
Paolo

I can not say for sure, but I would assume so. As I recall he used 2 1/2" sheets bonded together for the main baffle and some edge pieces to further thicken the baffle around the edges so that the black metal baffle support would not be visible from the side.

Thanks for comments Dr. Krekowsky,

This Corian start to become interesting to my eyes (my boxes will be little so the prices I hope will be not-outrageous ! :D )

O.T: Seems to remember me you had said in the past , you wanted experimentate also Dr. Geddes Nathans speakers kit ( I hope to remember correct ).......any news ? IMO it would be very very interesting :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Paolo

My original Summas used a Corian like material as the baffle. It was mostly just very heavy, but of coarse "heavy" is the bulk of the problem. If you don't want "heavy" then a skin of Carbon fiber backed with a dense polyurethane foam is the best that I have found. But alas, too expensive. In the end you get back to MDF, which is the ideal balance of weight, damping, and (mostly) cost! Its very hard to beat.

gedlee said:
My original Summas used a Corian like material as the baffle. It was mostly just very heavy, but of coarse "heavy" is the bulk of the problem.
Yes, I agree, Dr. Geddes.
But at least you have beautiful visual effect without paint and use same tools as wood, if I have well understood :D

If you don't want "heavy" then a skin of Carbon fiber backed with a dense polyurethane foam is the best that I have found. But alas, too expensive. [/B]

Can't be more in agree ! :bawling:

In the end you get back to MDF, which is the ideal balance of weight, damping, and (mostly) cost! Its very hard to beat. [/B]

So it is...... MDF is ideal for DIYers and square boxes.

BTW, I have read from some places that MDF of today is a bit less dense than 10-15 years ago ( here in Italy). Sort of LDF , thus ......
This is good IMO because you can increase thickness and obtain much more stiffness,no? :cool:

Thanks,
Paolo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.