Suggestions for kits or plans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to build a new pair of speakers purely for music. I have an old Rotel 40 wpc integrated amp, CD player and turntable. Currently I have a pair of Infinity bookshelf speakers, and a DIY 200 watt sub. I'm looking for excellent staging and crisp bass. I've built a sub and a center channel speaker before, so I have some knowledge, but not enough to design them myself.

I want something that will blow my socks off in terms of sound quality.

I have a decent workshop (table saw, router, planer, etc.) and build furniture, so construction shouldn't be a problem.

I've looked at the Seas Thor kit, and Jay's Usher 8945P 7" / Peerless HDS 1" MTM and am wondering what else is out there.

Budget is pretty variable- The Thor kit isn't out of range, but Jay's is half that much, which is definitely appealing, but if sound quality suffers significantly I'd rather spend the money for the Thor.

So I'm looking for detailed plans or a kit with a top end of $1500. Thanks in advance.

Hi Matt,
Welcome to the forum.
I own a pair of Thors but the only resemblance they have to the originals is the drivers and the looks. Don't buy the kits or follow the cab plans on the vendor's website, there are much better cabs and Xovers you can build. A pair properly built will definately blow you out of your sneakers. Do a search for Thors on this forum and you'll find several cab designs and links to another forum that has completely redesigned the Xover. If you got the bucks go for it, you wont be disappointed.

Bill

These would probably fall somewhere in the middle of Jay's Usher design and the Thor. They are made specifically for reference listening.

They use the Scan-Speak 8545K + BG Neo3 PDR in a cabinet 8" wide by 34" tall
3452736658_0d3416b9f8_m.jpg

I did a removable baffle, so they actually go into this cabinet
3451921703_5e5bd31577.jpg

I'm going to post the design soon, but email me if you want the XO and cabinet details.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.