Advice on building a home audio sub.... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2001, 08:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to itzvic
Hello. I am looking at builing a home audio sub.(subs) I would be using it for music about 90% of the time, but would still like it to be impressive during movies. I am in college, and would like to **** off EVERYONE on my floor during the hours my RA already limited me to using my stereo. (i played it too loud too often, now im allowed only 3 hours, 2 days a week to play my stereo) I currently have 2 audiobahn alum 10's (dual 4 ohm vc) that i had setup in my car for this purpose. I could use those, or take my brothers 4 infinity reference 12's. My choice of drivers is limited, but they both have large xmax and high power handling (11.9mm for the reference and 300 watts, and more xmax and 700rms for the audiobahns.) so i believe they will work well. My audiobahns take 1200 watts from an orion amp right now, no problem. I have read about subwoofer box building software, but have never seen it either, so its no help here. I was wondering what type of boxes would work best, and which drivers would be the best for hard pounding accurate bass. Right now, i will probably power these subs with my mackie pa amp. Its rated at 1400 watts at 4ohm bridged (700 watts x2 at 2ohms), and has an 80htz low pass crossover. I could power either the 2 audiobahns or 4 infinities quite well... I am hoping for some serious spl from these subs, that still sounds good. If anyone has some advice on what type of enclosure to build, what subs to use, or anything else on this matter...please help me out.
Thanks for the time!
-ViC
Old 11th December 2001, 01:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Wink Sub

You should tell us a bit more ...

1 - Speakers Thiele-Small parameters
2 - Max accepted dimensions of the box
3 - Time and money budget to build the boxes
4 - Tools available for working the wood

... then we'll see if the 'baby' will have to be ruled by Geneve's convention

bye
sandro
Old 11th December 2001, 07:51 PM   #3
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Here are the Thiele-Small parameters for the Audiobahn Alum 10 dual voice coil. This is for the 2000 model year. The 2001 model year is very similar.

The specifications are from the following page for the 2000 and 2001 model year:
http://www.audiobahninc.com/index2.htm

Fo (Hz) 24.3
Qms 3.16
Qes 0.43
Qts 0.38
Vas (Liters) 44
Vas (Cubic Feet) 1.5
EBP 57
Revc (2 each @) Ohms 5.6
SPL (1 Watt, 1 Meter) dB 95.6
Xmas (mm) Linear Peak Power 26
Levc (mH) 1.6

I have my recommendations, but I will let Sandro give his first.
Old 11th December 2001, 07:58 PM   #4
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well, check out WinISD, it's a good free program to design speaker enclosures. Since you're needs specific to you, you're better off designing your own to fit those needs.
Old 12th December 2001, 01:15 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Red face winISD

Well...i tried out winISD. I am not completly sure how to use the thing but i think i got it all down. According to this program my box volume should be 72.2 l. It should also have a 10 cm wide port that is 42 cm long. This would give me an spl of about 98-100 from 30htz to 120ish, and an spl of 90-98 from 20-30. I am not sure what the group delay of phase plot are. If someone could tell me (or possibly send me a link to somewhere that it does) it might help me figure out the correct way to set this up box. My problem comes in figuring out the liter conversions! I THINK 1ml = 1 cm^3. This means that 72.2l = 72,000cm^3. If i took the cube root of this i get a sqaure box 41.6 cm by 41.6cm by 41.6cm?!?. (and it doesnt seem right!!) How would i set this up if my port is 42cm long? I know i sound like a RETARD, but i cant figure this out! Anyhows... would this setup pound? (if i figure out the right demensions?) Let me know what you think...
Thanks
ViC

in reply to the other post, i have all the tools i would ever need between my dad and i. also, i have some money to build an enclosure... I will probably use MDF so it shouldnt cost too much no matter how much i use. (my dad has expoxy and alot of other misc things i would need) I do not want to get super elaborate to create a box, and since i have 4 more weeks of break i think i could accomplish my goal, especailly becuase i dont care about the way it looks and will leave it spray painted black.
Old 12th December 2001, 01:38 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

well i figured out how to use that prog. it claims my box will be 46.6 cm wide, 72 cm high and 30 cm deep. Where would i place the ports and subs?
Old 12th December 2001, 01:51 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Dave, im sorry you live near some ******** that play thier cerwin vega stereo too often for you to bear. Honestly im not a big nuisance. My next door nieghbor was and still is an only child. She has no idea how to deal with anything that aggrivates her. I played my stereo loudish, becuase i always have (not like my two infinity il10's can go that loud anyhow)...and she would come over and tell me to ******* die, call me and ******* and such. Thus, i was limited to my 2 days a week, for 2 hours or whatever crap they decided. Because i am limited, i feel that i will get my revenge and be the nuisance that her prissy self is to me. You know how bad it sucks to be able to listen to your stereo only twice a week?? Even at moderate levels? I think she should know when im listening to it, if it such a big deal to her. I guess the term, EVERYONE was wrong. I only intend to **** off her ok.

-ViC

BTW does it inflate your pathetic ego to come on here and bash someone who is trying to build thier own stereo for thier own listening pleasure? Im sure it does, since you are so pathetic you find it easier to tell off me, who you dont know, then the guy upstairs. Grow some balls, and go yell at that guy so you dont have to come on here and be an ***...thanks.
Old 12th December 2001, 02:05 AM   #8
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Itzvic:

You have trouble with the liter conversions? In the Thiele Small numbers I gave you, the Vas equals 44 liters or 1.5 cubic feet.

LOL, there is your liter conversion.

Actually, that is a bit off. Really a liter is 28.3 cubic inches. But no real matter.
Old 12th December 2001, 02:08 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I know it sucks to deal with someone like that, honestly... But this flame war type deal is lame as hell. Anyhow, good luck on the finals... and next sememester build a giant sub and mount it up against the ceiling, then proceed to play bass testers all day long while you go to the library. Im sure they will get the picture after a few hours.
peace
-ViC
Old 12th December 2001, 02:09 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

What do you think of the sonotube sub style? supposedly that thing rocks. I have 2 10's...i could build one right?

Hide this!Advertise here!