To wall mount or not? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2009, 04:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default To wall mount or not?

Hi Folks,
Just looking for some advice. I'm currently using a pair of Castle trent 2's on rigid floor stands. These are a compact 2 way design with front reflex port, they are on a modest Creek CAS 4040 and give good tight tunefull bass despite the wooden suspended floor in my 15 by 15 foot room. I am soon going to rearange the room and to make more space and hopefully improve the sound, i wander about wall mounting, has anyone any ideas? If so i want to know about the most rigid brackets to buy as they will be going on a proper brick wall. I hope to maybe even improve the already great performance from these compact speakers i've had for 15 years. I used to always think wall mounting was a no-no, but maybe i'm wrong. Had my floor been concrete as in my last house, i would probably keep them on these stands as they are very solid.
Old 15th April 2009, 07:17 AM   #2
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Hi bikelectro

How far from the wall do you have them now? You could move your stands such that the speakers are flat against the wall. This will give you an indication of how they'll sound when mounted there. You get boundary reinforcement from the wall in the lower frequencies; the effect changes with distance from the wall. See here.
Old 16th April 2009, 01:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that!, interesting reading. At present they are in front of a bay window, so no parallel wall behind them. Where they are going is at both sides of a sort of alcove formed by a chimney breast, i.e.;- one speaker will be on the outside corner of the breast and the other in a simialr outside corner although not right angled formed by the bay window. They sound good now, and again they will be about at least 1 foot from the back of the alcove and have no parallel surface realy behind them. But , as you say, when i do the room i will try them first on the stands. I think it will be ok, so will just want to know what are the best sturdy brackets to support small compact wooden cabinets, as i cannot get to examine them anywhere before i buy. If they sound good in the new position on the stands, i'm hoping for an improvement with them firmly wall-mounted, also to free the floor space and have them a bit higher up.

Cheers, again for your advice.

Hide this!Advertise here!