diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   Speaker for ROCK (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/142259-speaker-rock.html)

e_fortier 14th April 2009 04:13 AM

Speaker for ROCK

Hi,

I've been around for quite some time to find a decent floorstanding speaker to listen to Rock and quite often Hip-Hop with my young kids.

What I'm aiming for is a speaker with the kind of guts that hits you solid in the chest when the bass hits 50-70Hz, I do not want a sub so my idea is to get a pro driver maybe something like the Eminence Delta 12LTA.

I would prefer a 2 way for simplicity but if needed a 3 way would do.

My room is roughly 350 square feet. (25 x 13)

I have access to drivers from Solen and Eminence from q-components in Ontario, Canada.

My budget would be about 500 (400 USD) for the drivers, can this be done...

Thanks for any recommendation.

Eric

Cal Weldon 14th April 2009 04:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Eric,

Too bad you don't live any closer. I have just what you need sitting in my basement :)

Actually you might wish to consider a 15" 3 way. The guys at q components are good. Maybe you tell them what you are looking for and see if they have ideas.

e_fortier 14th April 2009 07:42 PM

Hi Cal,

Are these beauty for sale ?

Thanks,
Eric

Cal Weldon 14th April 2009 09:59 PM

Eric,
Everything is for sale ;)

Shipping wouldn't be worth it but I think those are along the lines of what you are looking for. Parts total would be about 500 Cdn. They are about 48"H X 18"W X 18"D

Pyramid 15"woofs
Gefco mids
Pyle tweets
Modified premade XO.
Two sheets plywood.

dangus 15th April 2009 07:28 AM

I forget which Eminence model it is, but there's a 15" with an 80 oz magnet that's around 99 dB efficient... those will thump. Add Eminence or Selenium compression horns and drivers, and an Eminence or DIY crossover.

That roughly describes my party speakers... 15" Eminence, titanium Eminence driver on a vintage JBL horn with acoustic lens (looks like louvers). Crossover is vintage Altec 1209, recapped with nice caps from Solen. I put a stop/brake lamp bulb in series with the tweeter for protection. They're normally run with 18" subwoofers, but I was pleasantly surprised by how good they sounded full-range. Porting the cabinet just required two holes in the 3/4" plywood, no ducts. Assuming I got the calculations right... I don't think I was too concerned since they're normally crossed-over well above where the ports kick in.

Maybe this summer I'll actually show up for the Vancouver Island diyaudio meet, and bring these abominations and a Contrabass.

e_fortier 15th April 2009 01:27 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the answer, it looks very expensive to built as a DIY project so I looked on e-bay ans saw those from Mackie (LOUD technologies) which have a good name in the industry.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/TAPCO-MACKIE-TH-1...1%7C240%3A1308

Do these look like a good deal ?

I just wonder about the mids, crossing over from a 15 inches to a compression horn driver seems like pushing it ?

Thanks,
Eric

Cal Weldon 15th April 2009 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dangus
Maybe this summer I'll actually show up for the Vancouver Island diyaudio meet, and bring these abominations and a Contrabass.
I showed up with the 3 way A7's you see in my avatar last year and they darn near ran me outta town. I didn't even bring the bass units. ;)

Cal Weldon 15th April 2009 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by e_fortier
Do these look like a good deal ?
For what they do, yes.

Quote:

I just wonder about the mids, crossing over from a 15 inches to a compression horn driver seems like pushing it ?
Yes, with a 3khz XO there will be a lot of cone break-up from a 15". Those are made for PA use and may be just fine for what you need. They are not for critical listening though.

gianxdiy 15th April 2009 02:25 PM

Why don't you take a look to a Klipsch???
They can be a good choice and easy to find, also used...

e_fortier 15th April 2009 11:14 PM

Hi,

Well, I called Q-Components and the technical fellow over there (Eric) really knows his stuff, he will propose 2 different system (driver + enclosure plans) based on my goal, room size, etc. by this Friday. For those interested I will let you know.

Regards,
Eric