Speaker for ROCK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Double Beta12LTA might work fore 2.5way
They are not really in paralel when doing that
It might be possible with just a few xo components, when its not about ultra fidelity

---------------

The Delta15LFA might also work nicely together with a Beta-8A
Would most likely be what you really want
Problem is crossover
May may not be that difficult considering that the Beta8 is said to work fine with practically no xo

Delta15LFA + Beta-8A x supertweeter(Eminence APT-80 or maybe a piezo)
I believe its possible
We may be able to work through this, I will do all I can to help

Normally I wouldnt suggest this, but considering theres isnt much else to find, and you are not all too critical about sound quality
Though Beta-8A is said to be a real sweetie

1000usd a pair. Might be a bit rich for Eric's taste. Good looking speaker though.

Which jogs my memory a bit. Again too bad you don't live closer. I have four of the Cerwin Vega MV-15's here gathering dust. Ported 15" 3 way, great for a party type speaker. Made primarily for listening to canned music at smaller pubs and such but would work well if you don't minds the handles and metal corners.

Darn it, when are you coming out to the left coast? It's only 3700 km as the crow flies. ;)

Attachments

• mv-15 small.jpg
    mv-15 small.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 705
Before considering the Delta15LFA+mid+twwet let me ask Cal if these speakers are for sale (since they are gathering dust..)

I probably know the answer but at what price...send me a PM if you prefer.

If the Cerwin Vega are too expensive (including shipping) I think my best bet would be Delta15LFA + Beta-8A x supertweeter(Eminence APT-80 or maybe a piezo) that Tinitus proposed.

Thanks all,
Eric

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
If you want a cheap, really good bass driver consider this one.
I found 4 of these at Goodwill and it took some time to find out who made them. I measured the T/S specs and they are very good for OB and ESPECIALLY good for acoustic suspension.

I built a pair of speakers for my workshop with 2 of these:

Picture196.jpg

Boxes are 25" high, 19" wide and 15" deep.
Give the kind of bass that hits you in the chest. Excellent power handling too in this small box.

Hi Eric,

Yes, I think the shipping would be killer. These would go for about $300 Cdn and the shipping would be not too far behind. I think you can do better with DIY and I'm not here to sell. If you find yourself out this way, we can talk but otherwise let's see if we can't get you set up.

Another thought I had (are you tired of them yet?) was to get a couple of the 12" coax on sale at PE for 100USD a pair and add the Delta or W.H.Y. as a low end helper. That would be a killer system. Just need someone to do the XO. I have a pair of the 12" Sammi that I am thinking of doing something similar.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-450&vReviewShow=1&vReviewRand=2387504

EDIT: I see they have the XO schematic already there on the linked page.

Hi Cal,

Thanks for the link. The 12 in woofer has a Qts of 0.75 so better fit for OB this is probably why the review say that the woofer has no bass.

At an efficiency of 95db i would be better off with my FE206E and these are free since I already have them ;)

BTW, I'm not tired of your idea I appreciate them.

I have surfed quite a bit today and it's amazing that there is barely NO info about DIY with pro drivers. Maybe I haven't search enough...

Regards,
Eric

MJL21193 said:
Thanks Cal,
I can't stress enough how good these woofers are for the money. Worth grabbing a couple to experiment with (not you Cal, heaven knows you have enough BIG driver already :) ).

A close up:

How do you have everything crossed over? How high do you suppose that 15 could be crossed without issue? What ohm are they? A pair of these push-push under each of my 901's would help where they leave off.

MJL21193 said:

These are actively driven - the crossover points are 350Hz and 3000Hz. I wouldn't cross this woofer much higher, maybe 500 - 600. They are 8 ohm nominal.

Sweet. It is tri-amped or just bi-amped? I noticed they call this a woofer and not a sub-woofer. How much power are you feeding them? Are they as efficient as the mid and tweeter? Your enclosure is sealed and roughly 3 cu.ft. internally? What are you using to actively cross it all over with? Thanks for the info.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Tri amped. 3 LM3886 chipamps on active filter boards. These boards have level controls, to adjust the power output. The power output to the woofer is ~70watts, the mid is turned down to 50% (that driver is VERY efficient) and the tweeter is at about 70%.

The enclosure is small for a driver with these specs (high Q). The idea was to make these acoustic suspension, driving the alpha up to smooth the frequency response. Works very well for this driver as it has great parameters for acoustic suspension. Excellent power handling.

My home brew triple plate amp:

Attachments

• picture 054.jpg
    picture 054.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 421
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
e_fortier said:
Hi Cal,

At an efficiency of 95db i would be better off with my FE206E and these are free since I already have them ;)

Would be ok to have just a bit higher sensitivity on woofer than on mid, due to BSC issues
Its also ok to pad down a mid
But 95db is a realistic target

You could use your Fostex, but Im sure your son will toast them very quickly :mad: :)

Fore your purpos it would be ok to use adjustable L-pads, but they cost money too

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.