Klipsch KG4.5 with Linaeum tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings, this is my first post.

I was recently given some audio equipment, among which are a pair of Klipsch KG4.5 tower speakers and a pair of Optimus (Radio Shack) LX5 bookshelf speakers. In the course of checking all the stuff out, I found that:

- one of the Klipsch's tweeters is kaput, and
- I really like the sound of the Linaeum tweeters on the LX5s.

This led me to consider bolting the Linaeums on top of the Klipsch towers and bypassing the Klipsch tweeters.

I have found a few clues by searching these forums and elsewhere, but I would very much appreciate any advice you folks have in regard to:

- crossover design for this combination
- things to watch out for
- fatal flaws in my reasoning, etc.

Many thanks in advance.

I realize that this post is a year late, but I couldn't help reply. I have a set of KG 5.5s which work fine. I also have sitting on them a pair of the Linaeum dipole tweeters. The horns on the Klipschs work fine on mine, but don't have much air and high end. I just run an extra set of wires down to the binding posts to add the extra tweeters, and I think they improve the sound. I'm currently deciding on whether to invest the time, energy and money into modding my setup by reinforcing the internal bracing, changing out the CD diaphragms to titanium, redoing the crossover (possibly adding an active crossover and another amp to drive the woofers), etc. or just using them woofers only to add the bottom to a new system, or just sell them and move on. I'd say with your question I'd try to fix the blown tweeter as on these designs they provide a good chunk of the mids - the Linaeum aren't going to replace that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.